sixty four

It was finally the day that Talia was going to call Shuri and thank her for the amazing suit. It was a few days after New Years, 2017 now, and Talia was working up the nerve to call the princess of Wakanda.

She sits in her room and taps her kimoyo beads. On the communication bead a hologram pops up, displaying contacts. She was able to connect her beads to her phone, so luckily her other contacts were there as well. She scrolls down until she finds Shuri and clicks on the name before thinking twice.

It loads for a minute, but then a face pops up. A beautiful dark skinned girl. She looks to be slightly older than Talia, and has a smile wide as a canyon.

"Hi! Um, are you Shuri?"

"I am! You must be Talia!"

The girl beams at Shuri through the link. "I wanted to call and thank you for the suit, it's absolutely amazing. I don't know how you did it."

"It was a pleasure! My brother's suit is similar and when Captain Rogers came and told us about you I knew I had to make you one."

"It's perfect! When my friend sees it, he's going to absolutely geek out."

"Really? Is he into technology and stuff like that?"

"Oh yeah. He likes to build computers from spare parts he can find around town. He's literally a genius...you two would get along."

"I might have to meet this genius! Anyways, does it work alright? Any issues at all?"

"Nope not at all! Could you send me a bill and then I'll have Tony send over a check or something."

"Absolutely not! It's a gift!"

Talia shakes her head. "It's just so much! So much virbanium as well! I don't know how you got it all...and to waste it on me? I don't know how to ever repay you."

"Well, you can repay me by being my friend." Shuri says with a smile. "You must come visit Wakanda! And bring your genius friend! We would have lots of fun in our labs."

"That would be amazing. But I'm on probation right now..."

"Well after! I can come and get you guys!"

"I would love that."

"Brother! Come say hi to my friend!" She holds her breath as T'Challa comes into view.

"Hello Your Majesty."

"Miss James, always a pleasure."

"I um...would like to apologize about Berlin and such."

T'Challa waves his hand, as if to say 'no problem'. "No apologies necessary, you were right in defending your friend."

Talia smiles through the line. "Your sister is a genius."

"Ah, that I know. She's also insufferable," he winces as Shuri punches him on the shoulder.

"Alright, you can go now." She starts moving someplace else. "He's a handful."

"I'd expect. He's king."

"Which makes him even more work."

Talia laughs at the girl.

"Would you like to say hi to your broken white boy?"

"I would—but who is this broken white boy?"

"It's the one with the arm, James."

"James! That makes so much sense. I was confused when I read your note about that."

"Yes he's here. Our scientists were able to remove the crap that Hydra put in him."

"So he's free?" Tal asks, a hopeful expression on her face.

"He is."

"That's amazing. You guys are amazing."

"Ah, here we go. Mr Barnes! I have a visitor for you!" She bangs on a door. "We're relocating him out of our place soon, out by the river." She says to Tal.

Talia can hear a door opening.

"Don't look so mean all the time!" She hears Shuri say. "Look! It's a friend." Shuri turns her link towards James.

Talia smiles and assesses the way that Bucky's hair is pulled back into a bun, she can see that he's missing his metal arm.

"Hello James. Don't know if you remember me, but we had that one conversation about what your arm was made of."

"It's you."

"Uh yeah. Don't be weird. We know each other." She can practically see the gears turning in his head. "And now you're doing the staring thing. Anyways, how's Wakanda."

"Amazing." He seems to soften a little when he says it. "Better than anywhere I've ever been."

"Yeah...Shuri I'm gonna need to visit this place. It sounds like paradise."

"Of course! You have to bring your genius friend, I'm going to teach him tricks."

"Pete's gonna explode from excitement."

"Who's Pete?" Bucky asks.

"Remember the spider dude that kicked your ass? That's him."

"Oh. I hate him."

"You hate everyone James!"

"Stop calling me James."

"I haven't earned the nickname yet."

"Have I earned your nickname?" Shuri asks Tal.

"Miss Shuri you can call me whatever you'd like!"