fifty two

Talia, Tony, and Rhodey sit in one of the new conference rooms at the Compound. After leaving Peter's, she went to the Tower where Tony drove her upstate.

Talia gulps as Secretary Ross's face lights up on the screen. She knows that he's not alone, however, his face is the only one present.

"Hello, everyone. Let's get right to it, Miss James please tell us why you decided to go against you probationary terms."

She takes a deep breath, not expecting to get right to the point. "I believe that it was the right decision to go against the terms of my probation because there were people in danger. I am gifted with these extraordinary abilities, and if I know something bad is going to happen, I'm going to do whatever I can to ensure that no one gets hurt. I understand that what I did was wrong, but I will not apologize for saving lives in Washington DC."

"How did you know that something bad was going to happen?"

"A friend of mine came across a Chitauri core, which at the time of the start of the trip, I didn't know what it was. I thought it was interesting, something he made because he's very smart. But then after doing some research, I discovered that the Chitauri cores are unpredictable, and can cause explosions. After learning this I quickly made my way to the Monument where I knew my friends were, but I didn't get there in time, as the core was set off do to interference from a metal detector."

"And why should you not face serious consequences?"

"Because I'm a kid. I have my whole life ahead of me, and if you condemn me from this one small incident for the rest of my life...well that's just dumb. Look, it was a one time thing, and it will never happen again. I am sorry for blowing my cover and I am sorry for going against my terms. I want nothing more than to get back doing what I love to do: helping people. I can only hope that you take into consideration the circumstances and reasoning on why I did what I did."

The girl holds her breath while Ross stares at her.

"Give us a few minutes to converse and come to a decision."

She nods and watches as the screen goes blank.

"You were supposed to tell the truth Tal." Tony mutters.

"I said a version of the truth. I'm not throwing my friends under the bus."

"Well, I'm proud of you for defending yourself and protecting your friends. It's admirable."

"Look at you throwing compliments left and right." Rhodey says, causing Talia to laugh. "I don't think they're gonna be too harsh."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"HOUSE ARREST? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?"

They had just hung up with Ross and now Talia was pissed off.

"I think you're overreacting." Tony starts. "It's not really house arrest."

"For the rest of my probation period, I can only leave my place of residence FOR SCHOOL STUFF! What about Christmas? And New Years? And Thanksgiving?"

"I don't know Tal," Rhodey says. "I think it's a pretty good deal. They didn't extend your probation or anything AND at least you can continue to be an Avenger once it passes."

She takes a deep breath. "Okay true, true. But I can't hang out with my friends."

"Technically, they just said you can't go anywhere other than school and home...so just bring your friends to the Compound. They all know you're an Avenger. Loophole!" Tony exclaims proudly.

"Okay...that's not too bad."

"And you can go to that dance because it falls under the category of school events. Along with prom in the spring."

"I don't even know what prom is."

"Another dance." Rhodey pipes in.

"Ah. Okay I guess I can deal with this. At least the Compound has stuff to do."

"See! This is good!"

"Yeah yeah."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Good morning my lovely best friends!" Tal says as she comes up behind Peter and Ned in the hallway as they walk to first period.

"Tal! You're alive!" Ned yells.

"Oh thank god you're here." Says Peter.

"Um I wasn't going to be killed...Anyways...I'm just on house arrest. Which isn't bad."

"Are they tracking you?"

"Yeah my phone and my rings." She holds up her middle fingers at them, making them laugh.

"Basically I can go to school and home and that's it. Well until my probation ends."

"I mean that's not too bad, we could go over your place after school when we wanna hang out." Ned says.

"Yeah. The screening room in the Compound is gonna be awesome."

"What else is at the Compound?" Ned asks eyes wide in wonder.

"There's a pool, Tony put in a small arcade for some reason, a library which I'm excited about, shooting range, training shit, a big ass hangar, personal hospital, literally everything."

"That is so cool."

"There's a bunch of buildings the main one has everyone's rooms and stuff and then the hangar is a separate building. We need golf carts to get across the lawn to be honest."

"We are so hanging out there." Ned says with a large grin."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"So," Jackson says during astronomy. "We should go to the dance together."

Talia lifts her eyebrows and turns to look at him. "The dance? The one the day after tomorrow?"

"That's the one."

Talia glances over to where Peter sits. He hadn't asked her—not that she thought he would. Just an observation.

"Uh sure. Do you wanna meet here?"

"That works. What are you wearing?"

"A dress. Don't know which one yet." She says while closing the textbook.

"Cool, well I'll see you then." He says while standing and sliding his backpack on.

Talia gives him a tight lipped smile.

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Jackson asked me to the dance yesterday." Tal says as she picks at her salad.

Peter chokes across the table on his water, Ned slapping his back, while Tal looks at him with wide eyes.

"He did?" Ned asks while slapping Peter.

"Yeah in astronomy."

"That's uh, nice." Pete says after he composes himself.

Talia shrugs. "Who are you guys bringing?"

They both glance at each other and then shrug at her. Talia narrows her eyes at them, but drops the subject.

She's happy that she was asked, but something's holding her back. Something's dulling her happiness and she's not sure what it is.