forty nine

The bus was relatively quiet and Tal is relieved for that.

They had all went back to the hotel, ate a lunch, and then had gotten ready to head back home. Talia got changed into leggings and a sweatshirt, and now sits across from Peter in a two seater.

The trio are farther back on the bus, she could tell that Flash had been itching to ask her questions but thankfully he got the hint that she wanted to rest.

She's jarred from dozing off when her phone starts buzzing in her pocket. Peter looks over at her as she takes the phone out, glancing at the screen that says unknown number.

"Hello?" She says, not too loud, incase there are prying ears.

Lia?

Talia gasps and puts a hand to her heart. She gulps and looks around, before standing and walking to the very back seat of the bus for more privacy.

"Nat?" She whispers.

The one and only. We saw you on the news....

"We?" There's a beat of silence over the phone.

Steve, Sam and I. We're all together.

"What about...Bucky and Wanda?"

I can't tell you where they are...not on the phone at least. But they're safe.

"Thank god. Are you guys safe?"

For now. Listen, we know that you're on probation and that you just broke your terms, so if they're gonna send you to the Raft, you should stay with us.

"I—well I talked to Tony. And he said he wouldn't let them take me."

Okay, but if things go south, you can meet me at the place where we watched that sunset last year. Remember?

"Yeah, but...I don't know when that conference is."

We'll be staying here for a little.

"Okay...um are the boys there?"

Yeah, let me put you on speaker.

There's some shuffling in the background until she hears a familiar voice.

Sup, Spongebob. How's junior year treating you?

"Bird Brain!" She mutters excitedly. "It's fine I guess, probably gonna get worse now that people know who I am."

Don't fret. You'll be fine.

There's a pause.

Hey Tal.

"Spangles! Oh I miss my best friends."

We miss you too. Steve says.

"Before you have to go, I just wanna tell you guys that I uh, got my memories back. From...before."

There's silence on the phone.

Is that a good or bad thing? Sam asks.

"Mmm, half and half. It's nice to know where I came from...sort of, but there's a lot of...unpleasant stuff that I try not to think about. Um...sorry for being a bitch to you all back then."

I'm sure you had your reasons to be defensive. Nat says.

Hopefully one day we'll all be back together...but it'll have to wait a while. Steve says.

"I know. It's so boring around the Tower though, well we're moving now so that's cool I guess."

What about Vision?

"Stays on his floor. I stay on mine. Tony's with Pepper all the time or on vacations."

I'm sorry Tal. Steve says.

"Don't be. I have other friends, I probably spend the night at Peter's and Ned's way too often."

You do what now? Sam asks.

"He's just a friend, Sam."

Yeah, a friend who you stay with in the same room. Tell him that I say that he needs to keep his pants on and his hands to himself.

"Oh my god. It's not like that...plus he has bunk beds so..."

You can still have sex on a bunk bed. Sam says.

"I meant that I'm on the top and he's on the bottom. Jeez."

You're a top Tal?! Honestly not surprised.

"I—the top bunk. Bunk, Sam. I don't know why you guys think I'm having sex. It's concerning how concerned you are about my sex life as it's non existent."

I'm just making sure Lia. She can hear laughing in the background.

Leave her alone Sam.

"Anyway if you guys need anything you can let me know, I would never tell anyone anything."

We know, Steve says. We love you Talia, remember what we offered.

"I wouldn't forget it. Love you guys."

Bye Tal. Nat says before hanging up.

Talia takes a deep breath, bringing the phone close to her heart, unexpected tears rising in her eyes. She hasn't talked to them since Berlin...and she misses them so much it hurts.

She pockets her phone and heads back to her seat.

Who was that? You looked surprised. Peter sends to her.

You can't tell anyone, not even Ned. It was Natasha, Steve, and Sam. I got to talk to them.

That's great!

Yeah, they said that if Ross wants to send me to the Raft, that I can go into hiding with them.

Would you do it? She can feel some anxiety coming from the boy.

I don't know. I don't necessarily wanna leave, especially you and Ned. But if it's go on the run or go to the Raft forever...I would go on the run.

Well let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Yeah...

Tal pulls from his mind and leans against the window, she dozes off while thinking of her friends, and of her future. She can't help but stress out a little.