forty five

"Guys!"

Talia and Ned turn to Peter as he runs towards them. The Academic Decathlon team wears their yellow Midtown jackets as they wait in front of the bus.

Talia and Ned knew Peter was gonna try to get on the bus, but would it work?

"Peter?" Liz asks.

"Yeah I was hoping maybe I could uh rejoin the team."

"No," Flash says. "No way, You can just quit on us, stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone."

"Hey welcome back Peter!" Mr Harrington says as he comes out of the bus. "Flash you're back to first alternate."

"What?"

"He's taking your place." Abe says with a smile.

"Can we go already?" MJ asks. "I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the Embassy's before dinner."

"Protesting is patriotic, let's get on the bus."

Talia giggles as Flash shoves his jacket in Peter's hands. Talia walks up to him as they get on the bus.

"Welcome back to the team."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

Talia sits in a two seater by herself across from Ned. Her teammates have been practicing questions for over an hour now and she was half way done with her book.

Across the way, Ned watches the hologram for any movement.

"Uh, yeah, no it's just a school trip. It's uh, it's nothing. Look, Happy, I gotta say, you tracking me without my permission is a complete violation of privacy." Peter says as he sits in the seat behind Ned.

Ned looks at him and points down at the hologram. "That's different." The boy whispers.

"Uh, nothing. Look, it's just the Academic Decathlon. It's no big deal." Peter hangs up and gives an exasperated sigh.

"Happy?" Tal asks.

"Yeah, he's up my butt tracking me."

"I removed my tracker ages ago."

"Of course you did." Peter says while smiling at her.

The rest of the ride was spent either practicing questions, reading, or sleeping for Talia. By the time they arrived at the hotel, she was peppy and well rested.

"Everyone stay together." Liz says as they head into the hotel.

Talia zones out everyone talking about the hotel. She looks up and admires it, it's really nice.

"Hey you brought your laptop right?" Peter asks Ned.

"Why?"

Talia doesn't hear what Peter says next, instead she waits to get her room key. MJ and Tal are rooming together.

The two head up to their room and lay out their outfits for tomorrow. Everyone's going swimming, so she throws on a pale pink bikini and a pair of cotton shorts. She wraps a towel around her neck and starts heading towards Peter's room.

When she walks in she finds Peter standing on a bed. She doesn't miss the way his eyes flick down to her chest, and walks further in the room. "What are you guys doing? We're going swimming."

"Did you know I have a Training Wheels Protocol in my suit?"

"Yes, I helped make it." She crosses her arms "Why?"

"Oh my god, I'm tired of being treated like a kid."

"You are a kid Peter." Ned says.

"Yeah a kid who can stop a bus with his bare hands. Tal doesn't have training wheels."