thirty one

Talia had drifted off to sleep, Tony holding her the previous night. Her dreams were full of nostalgic memories, some real and some fake.

Talia stirs at the light filtering through her large floor to ceiling windows. A headache pulses through her head as she gets up. She makes her way to the bathroom, brushing her teeth and throwing her hair into a quick braid.

Her eyes were puffy from crying in the mirror. Tal sighs and heads out into the main living area. She pulls out some bread and waits while it toasts, then spreads some butter on it.

Memories of the sunrise on an unfamiliar planet rises, along with memories of baking with Thor. But she knows that she never actually baked with Thor. The girl rubs her temples while trying to sort out everything.

She's not sure how to feel. It's all confusing. She sighs, and heads back to her room, changing into an outfit suited for training.

Wearing loose running shorts, and a tank top, Talia grabs her phone and earbuds.

Her phone buzzes with a text, and she sees that she has a couple missed texts from Peter.

Peter: Hope you're feeling better

Peter: Just let me know if you're okay, when you get the chance I mean

Peter: I texted Happy to see if you're better, but he didn't respond. Like usual I guess lol.

Tal chuckles, it's only nine am and he's texting her. She pockets her phone while she makes her way down to the lobby.

She wants to tell Peter that she'll be fine, and she wants to thank him for being their for her the previous night.

If it weren't for him, Tal probably would have freaked out even more having to wait for Tony to get there.

She's not ready to have that conversation with her closest friend, not yet. And so she heads out into the scorching heat, her earbuds blasting music, running down the blocks.

She's not sure how long she runs, only until her chest aches with each breath and sweat runs down her back, her temples, her neck, does she stop.

Talia turns into an empty alley way, bent at the waist with her hands on her knees, attempting to catch her breath.

She pulls out her phone to check the time, when something white shoots out from above her and takes the phone. She gazes up and finds herself a foot away from Spiderman's face.

She shakes her head, a slight smile hidden on her face, as she takes in Peter's upside down form. He looks at the phone.

"AC/DC again? Really?"

Tal crosses her arms and holds out her hand. He drops it down into her palm, and then flips over, landing in a squat.

"You've been avoiding my texts." He says while moving to lean against the brick wall of a building.

"There's too many things going on up here," she points to her head. "for me to focus on anything else right now."

"So you went out for a run?"

"Needed to clear my head. What are you doing out at ten in the morning in your suit?"

He shrugs. "Just doing some morning spidey stuff."

Tal chuckles, but her smile fades as she looks at the boy. She sighs, and turns to the street, looking around to make sure there's no one around.

She grabs Peter's wrist and tugs him further into the alley.

"What are you doing?"

She stops and turns to him. Reaching up, Talia tugs off his mask. She stares at the boy for a second. His fluffy brown hair falls over his forehead, messy from being in the mask.

He furrows his brows as he looks down at her. Talia slowly wraps her arms around his body, pulling him into a hug. It takes Peter a second, but he wraps his arms around her small waist.

Tal's much shorter than the boy, especially because he's grown since she first met him. Her head rests just under his chin and she hugs him tight.

"Thank you for being there for me, Pete." She whispers.

He rubs his hand up and down her back. "You know I'll be there for you, always." He pauses for a second. "If you want to talk, or vent, you can always do that with me. I'll listen."

"I know, you're the best. Maybe another time I'll tell you, it's just so fresh right now..."

Talia pulls away from him, keeping him at arms length, and looks into his brown eyes and smiles.

...pretty...

She furrows her brows. "What?"

Peter tilts his head, eyes narrowed. "I didn't say anything."

Tal steps backwards, and Peter lets go of her. She rubs her temples. "Must be going crazy a little. I thought I heard something." She looks back around. "The last time we were together in this alley, I told you I'd stab you if you kept following me."

"I was so confused back then. Literally, you were carrying a knife with you, and said that you did karate...I was lost."

Talia giggles at him.

"Speaking of, why were you following me that day?"

"Well I uh...I wanted to make sure you got home okay." Tal watches as Peter blushes.

She shakes her head with a small smile. "I appreciate the thought...but I can take care of myself."

"Well I know that now." He smiles down at her.

"Your birthday's coming up, what are you gonna do?"

"Probably dinner with May."

"That sounds nice." She watches him shrug.

"What are you doing for the rest of the day?" He asks.

"Probably sorting through my mess of a mind. Maybe train a bit, I have work tomorrow so..."

"Okay, well let me know if you want to train with a partner for once...or just want to talk."

"I know, Pete." She punches him lightly in the arm. "You're the best."

Peter smiles while his cheeks light up a bright red.

"Well, I should get going. I'll talk to you later?" She says while backing away towards the street.

"You're actually gonna answer this time?"

She laughs. "Bye Spidey!" The girl calls over her shoulder.