Chapter 34 The Finalé

SOPHIE

Two months after my mother's wedding, I returned to my usual routine. However, after the news of my new sibling's birth, I decided to head back home, feeling as though I needed to be with them to help out. Not to mention I missed Libby invading my room without permission — even with my consent I still wouldn't let her in — and random talks and petty arguments about stuff that I didn't care about.

I still remember Mom and John telling me and Libby about it. We were in our house on a cool winter night celebrating the holiday with a few of our closest family and friends. We all just finished eating Christmas dinner and both Libby and I started opening our gifts from everybody.

"Ok girls, one last gift," said Mom as she put two large boxes wrapped in festive paper down in front of us.

"From you and Dad?" Lib read the sticker.

"You got it." John smiled as he stood next to Mom.

Without hesitation, both Libby and I tore apart the wrapping paper and removed the lid to see a neatly folded t-shirt inside.

"Not entirely my sense of style," Libby muttered, pinching the fabric before peeking up, "but I guess it's the thought that counts."

I rolled my eyes and stared up at the two. "Thanks you guys," I said with a genuine smile.

"You're welcome," said John.

"Did you both read what's on the shirts?" Mom asked.

Libby and I unfolded our shirts and looked at the front of them as we read aloud, "Big Sister." Then we looked at each other, our jaws dropped in shock as realization began to dawn on us.

"Are you serious?!" I said, staring back at my mom who nodded her head in confirmation.

"No way!" Libby and I cried in pure joy as we both jumped up and hugged her.

Everyone else was no doubt surprised by what just happened. After hugging Mom for a few minutes, Libby and I swapped over to John who took us both inside his arms. Family and friends who surrounded us shared the excitement, hugging one and all and voicing their congratulations.

Two months later, we found out that we were having a little brother, which made the guys in our family really happy. Though I, too, was excited, considering that I had never had a brother before.

So here we sat in the waiting room in the Hospital by ourselves more than a little impatient. There were other couples and families seated around us. Libby and I talked to a few of them for a little bit while waiting for John.

A few more minutes passed before the door finally opened and we saw John walking in.

"Ready to meet your little brother?" he asked us.

"Ready," said Libby and I.

We walked out of the waiting room with John leading the way inside Mom's room. Libby and I waited just outside the door as John quietly went in first.

Seconds later, he returned and propped the door open as we stepped inside the room.

"Hi girls," Mom spoke quietly with a tired smile on her face.

Libby and I looked and saw our little brother in Mom's arms for the first time. Our eyes lit up in awe and we slowly walked up to sit beside her, viewing our baby brother up close as he slept.

"He's so adorable," awed Libby.

"He's perfect," I added.

Mom lightly laughed. "That he is."