Chapter 33 A Family Addition

SOPHIE

I came home from a outing with old friends exhausted and planned to retire back into bed for an early afternoon nap. I climbed up the stairs, approaching my room. Once inside, I was startled at the girl that was lounging on my pink bedspread.

I stared at the stranger, no older than myself. She had wavy, dark brown hair that touched her shoulders with cyan colored eyes, and an obnoxious smirk planted on her face.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my room?" I demanded, slowly placing down my phone onto the dresser top.

The girl merely laughed. "Haven't you heard? I'm your new housemate."

My eyes narrowed. Already I hated her.

"That doesn't explain why you're in my bed."

The girl sat up, lifting her head from my decorated pillows and crossing her legs in an Indian position. She gave me another dastardly smile. "Haven't you also heard? Out of the goodness of your heart, you've decided to change rooms with me."

"What are you talking about? I haven't met you yet, why would I give you my room?" I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Well, the old guest room that they're trying to put me in is way too small for my stuff so I figured the best fit for me would be your room. Plus, while you've been at college for the past weeks, I've been making myself comfy." She combed through her hair with her finger, inspecting it for a moment before turning to face me again. "Oh, and I've missed seeing you at your mother's dinner party."

I looked at her like she was crazy. Now upset of the thought of mom allowing some stranger to stay in my room while I was away.

"Then again, the guest room does have more of a better view from the bay window seating." The girl smiled, grasping my attention as I blinked at her.

I scoffed. I couldn't believe the nerve of this girl. She was a unknown living in my house and apparently in my room. Above all, she was obnoxious.

"Do you have a name or should I just refer to you as one of my own?" I grilled, sinking my weight into my right hip. I looked at her expectantly.

She let out a small laugh. "I'm Libby. I'm assuming by the writing above your mirror that your name is Sophie?"

I nodded as the girl stood on her feet, walking forward with a mistrustful smile on her face.

"Well, Sophie. I look forward to living with you."

I narrowed my eyes as she bypassed me and cleared the room, trailing further down the hall to the guest bedroom.

"I swear she is out to get me."

I sat crossed legged on my bed on a voice call with the girls back at West Bridge. Emma and Alicia had gone home and the she-devil was in her own room. Sitting in my lap was an opened photobook. I reached over and flipped the page to present old photos that portrayed me and my birth parents before looking through pictures of just Mom and me, without John and Libby. We both looked happy, how our family was supposed to be.

I smile softly at the pictures one last time before I put the album back in my drawer.

"You two just met," said Charlotte. "I'm sure it'll get better."

"She's right, you haven't entirely given them a chance," added Bri.

"A chance? As much as I know, she practically moved in weeks ago. And in my room! Without my permission, let alone knowledge."

"You might as well learn to get along with her. This living arrangement may become permanent with your mom and her dad dating and all," Chels told me.