Chapter 31 Graduation Day

SOPHIE

I stood in front of my bedroom mirror and sighed. I was graduating from high school. Standing there in my cap and gown, I couldn't believe it. There were so many people counting on me. I heard footsteps and looked at the door. There, my grandma stood in the doorway, smiling.

"Grandma!" I exclaimed.

"I'm so proud of you Sophie. Me and your grandpa both," grandma said, hugging me.

"I can't believe you two flew in all the way from Talveila." I stated.

"We would have missed your graduation if we didn't sweetheart," grandma replied with a smile.

"Does mom know you're here?" I asked.

"Yes. I spoke with the others to tell them we were coming. But I chose to surprise you and Morgan," grandma stated. "Now come downstairs. Everybody is waiting for you."

"Who's everybody? Why are they waiting?" I asked.

"To eat your cake. Phil and Casey, Austin and Tyler, and James are all here," grandma responded, smiling.

I took off my cap and gown. My long blonde ringlet curls fell halfway down my back. I carefully laid the gown on the bed and turned around. Grandma and I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Mom stood up and walked over to me.

"Dad thought Mom should have gone to your room alone, which is why I let her." Mom stated, hugging me.

"It's okay mom. I'm surprised they came all this way for my graduation," I said.

"You're their granddaughter, Soph." Mom stated before crying.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked her, pulling away a little to see the waterworks.

"You are graduating today. It's a big deal for the heart to take. You won't be my little girl anymore," she told me.

I sighed and gave my mother a look. "I will always be your little girl, mom. Don't cry..."

I held onto mom like she did me when I was younger. Then Casey walked over and hugged Mom. She, too, had tears in her eyes.

Austin walked into the kitchen.

"Is everybody ready for some cake?" he asked. Then he looked at Mom, grandma, aunt Casey and me. "What did I say to make everybody so upset?"

Grandma walked over to him. "You didn't do anything son, we are just having a hard time of letting go," grandma replied.

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Austin said sadly, then looked at me. "No matter how old you get, kid. You'll still be my little Sophie."

Hearing the crack in his voice made me walk over to him and wrapped my arms around him. It was quiet like this for several minutes.

At that moment, I wished my parents could be here for my graduation. To witness my growth and hard work as well.

"Alright with all this sentimental stuff. Let's eat this cake before the icing melts," James said, looking down at the cake while holding his plate.