Chapter 24 Friendship

SOPHIE

"You four are going to do a group project together."

It was silent for all of two seconds before the girls and I was defying the words of the woman who sat on the edge of her desk. I sighed while trying to plead my case as well as the others.

"What!?" the girls half-shouted, sending her a horrified glance. "Not with her!"

"Excuse me?" said Calley, staring at us. "You all should be lucky to do a project with me; you might actually have a chance at passing for once." This alone sparked up another heated debate.

"I don't want or need your help," fussed Charlotte. "My grades are just fine, thank-you."

"Mines too!" Chelsea cut in before staring at her good for nothing friends, Britney and Macy. "Maybe you ought to teach them, considering that the only thing they're good at is blabbing their jaws off."

"Girls!" The blonde spoke once more. "May I finish?"

We turned our attentions back to Mom, softening under her hard gaze.

"Thank you," she sighed. "I was originally going to announce the assignment to the class Monday, but considering the circumstances I thought that I should make you aware of the task before the rest of the class. Now, all of your grades in my class are well at their peaks, however; that's not why I paired you together," Mom's eyes turned sharper. "In an attempt to end this rivalry with one another, I selected the four of you to complete this week's assignment that will be worth fifty percent of your grade. Who knows, you might end up liking the other's company; maybe even learn something from each other."

"As if," Calley whispered from under her breath, but I heard it anyway. Apparently so did Chels, who shot daggers in her direction.

Meanwhile, Mom reached inside her desk drawer and pulled out a small container. "You will draw a subject from here and write a paper about what it means to you, respectively. Then I want you to write a joint paper about what you have learned from the assignment, making a total of four papers." She pushed the holder towards me, and I reached in and pulled out a slip of paper.

"Friendship," I read from it.

Mom nodded wisely. "Good, you have chosen a subject that should be simple enough to do and have turned in by next week. Now, you are dismissed."

I would have happily stomped away from Calley, if given the chance. Problem was, her class and mine were in the same direction, so Chels and I had to walk slowly as the girl marched ahead with her two besties trailing behind her.

"Girls! Wait up!" Charlotte called after, causing us to freeze in place.

The four of us met up with each other as Charlotte spoke up.  "We haven't decided on a meeting place to plan the project and all."

"Didn't she say that we had to write our own papers, and then write the joint one?" Calley said, clearly uninterested.

"Charlotte's right, we should at least plan what we're going to write, so we're at least all on the same page," said Chelsea.

"I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to get everything out in the open..." I trailed off.

"Whatever," sighed Calley. She pulled out a pen and notepad from her backpack, scribbling her address on the pink sticky note. "We can meet up at my house tomorrow for lunch," she said as I took the pad from her outstretched hand. "Later, partners..."

Mom pulled up to Calley's house and I stepped out of the car. It was a traditional white, two-story house with a shingle roof, and there was a huge oak tree in the backyard. After bidding mom goodbye, I walked up to it, dreading every step I took. I couldn't believe that I was doing this. In fact, it wasn't something that I imagined myself ever doing. Calley has been my known nemesis since fifth grade. Why, remains the question. But I guess bullies like her don't really need a reason to make someone's life just as miserable.