Chapter 21 First Day of High School

SOPHIE

"Sophie-e!!"

One click and my eyes were opened.

Austin then poked his head inside the room. "Soph, why are you still in bed!? Get up already, we'll be leaving soon!" he shouted before the door closed behind him.

I pulled the covers over my head and nuzzled my face in my pillow, staring at the beeping alarm clock.

7:15a.m.

My only thought was to throw my alarm clock straight through the window as I reluctantly pressed the off-switch. Today was my first day of high school.

I managed to sit myself up in bed with a yawn, and stretched my arms. My eyes were still shut as I sat up, soaking up the warmth of my covers before opening them.

Slowly, I made my way out from underneath the covers and placed my bare feet onto the fuzzy carpet, proceeding into the bathroom.

I stood in front of the mirror and cringed at the sight of my disheveled dirty-blonde hair that now reached my shoulders. I decided to get it chopped off during the summer. I was a bit hesitant at first, but now I love it.

I stroked the ringlet of hair from my eyelids before running my bath water. When the water turned cold, I stepped out and into my bathrobe, walking back inside my bedroom to get dressed.

I'd gone for a simple but cute look, which consisted of a white, laced, buttoned front blouse with a denim skirt. Good enough for a Monday morning. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining, assembling a warm breeze in the air; so I didn't think I'd need a coat. I brushed through my tangled hair before tucking a few strands behind my ear.

My phone then lit up as a message from Lottie flashed onto its screen. I picked up the small object from my ruffled bed sheets and tapped on the text to expose a snap of Charlotte with intertwined hair and dressed in her pajamas with the biggest smile EVER. I replied with a snap of my own, though my smile wasn't as bright as hers.

After tapping send, I gathered my packed book bag from the other night and headed downstairs. The flat screen in the living room could be heard from upstairs and grew more audible as I made my way down.

-For today's weather it will be partly cloudy but it should clear up by noon. There will be a high of 53 and a low of 28. At 7am it's 34 and climbing. Next on the show-

53 degrees? That was pretty good for August. Too bad I couldn't just stay in bed... Why did school have to start so early this year? We had to be there by 8:30.

The more the thought grew on me, the more I became reluctant to want to go.

"Why do I even have to go to school anyway?! I already know most of the stuff they teach us in middle school!" I complained, taking my place at the breakfast table where a plate topped with fluffy pancakes alongside a mixture of freshly washed fruits, and eggs was put in front of me.

"Key word most," Austin reinforced with a small laugh as he poured me a glass of orange juice from the pitcher.

With a frown, I took a hold onto the clear cup as he then sat down on the other side of the table to enjoy his own meal.

"I don't think it will be that bad..." he said to me before taking a fork-bite of his scrambled eggs.

"Maybe..." I said quietly as I finished off my breakfast.

"Where's mom??" I asked while placing my empty plate and glass inside the dishwasher. Then I turned back to witness my uncle clearing off the table.