Chapter 29 Happy Easter

SOPHIE

It was the day before Easter. Inside the principal's office, principal Hensley along with a few other school board members, were chatting amongst themselves.

Principal Hensley, who was seated behind his desk, paused in mid sentence and glanced over at me. "Sophie?"

He motioned me to come further as I slowly entered the room.

"What can I do for you?" He was wearing his usual smile.

"Well, I was wondering - with Easter being tomorrow and all - if we could have an Easter Egg Hunt? For the whole school, so we can all celebrate Easter together."

"An egg hunt?" he asked, then stared over at the board members as if they were having some sort of silent debate. "We never had one of those before," he thought aloud.

"I'll tell you what," he started, turning around and glaring at me as I gave him a hopeful look. "We can have an Easter Egg Hunt, if, and only if, you can get at least half of the school to agree to this."

"Thank you, Principal Hensley!" I smiled and nodded happily.

"You'll have until 12:00 noon tomorrow to get the school to not only agree with you, but have the hunt set up," said principal Hensley. "This is your idea, I take it that you should have no trouble with the preparation."

"Yes sir!" I agreed, running out of the room in search of my friends.

Four figures were seated at the picnic table outside of the cafeteria, chatting with each other.

"Hey girls," I greeted the four as I approached.

"Soph, where have you been?" Charlotte questioned.

"I just left from principal Hensley's office," the worried looks on the girls' faces didn't go unnoticed as I explained, "I'm not in trouble or anything. In fact, he said that if I could get at least half of the school to agree to an Easter Egg Hunt by noon tomorrow, we could have one." I finished, smiling.

"He did!?" Alicia exclaimed with excitement. "I never had one of those before!"

Emma nodded, "Me neither, but it sounds like a lot of fun."

"You'll love it," Chels told them. "When I was younger and before my mom passed, we always had an Easter egg hunt."

"I'm up for it," said Bri, then added, "Before I moved here, my family and I always celebrated Easter by going to mass with family. There'd be a big feast as well as an egg hunt afterwards."

"Great, but we're going to have to get more volunteers to agree with us if we're going to be able to do it."

"Do you think that, perhaps, we can invite Calley and her friends, Britney and Macy?" Charlotte asked.

"Calley, Britney and Macy?" repeated Emma. "I don't see why not."

"I'll take care of Calley. It's up to all of you to convince the rest of them. I'll meet you at 12 A.M. in the student lounge. Make sure to bring those who agree to the hunt with you. Good luck." Then, as the bell rang, the girls and I parted in the opposite direction.

I stepped into one of the school's many hallways, spotting the auburn haired girl, then ran up to her. "Hey Calley," I smiled, stopping in front of her.

"Sophie," Calley responded dryly as she closed her locker before locking it. "If you're here for small talk, I sorta don't have time."

"Actually, I've got some important news." I stated. "See, principal Hensley told me that if I could convince more than half of the school to agree to an Easter egg hunt, we could have one."