Chapter 22 Babysitting

SOPHIE

Standing in my pajamas, I looked at the outfit on the hanger. Sighing, I took the pair of leggings and began to dress. It was followed by the long-sleeved pullover as I listened to Chelsea's voice through my phone's speaker.

"I still can't believe starting tomorrow will be the start of our on-stage rehearsal!"

It was only three days before our first opening night of 'The Little Mermaid'. Chels and I both auditioned and got chosen to play one of the mersisters.

"I know," I yawned tirelessly as I noticed the time on the alarm clock to be 6:35am. I've been having a hard time getting used to my new morning routine that was forced on me by my mom's new job.

"Aren't you a tad bit excited?"

"Hardly," I breathed while plopping down on the messy bed. I then pulled on my socks and laced-up the brown ankle boots. Finally, I faced the mirror and brushed through my tangles before pulling the top half upward and wrapped a scrunchie around the small bun.

Satisfied with the look, I turned around to witness a fashionably dressed woman as she stood against the door frame with crossed arms and a raised brow.

"Um Chels... I'm going to have to talk to you later."

"Sure! I'll see you in a few."

After ending our call, I looked back at my mom with an innocent smile.

"I guess you forgot all about school. We're going to be late."

"I'll be down in a few, promise," I told her, though she didn't seem too convinced as she turned to leave out the room before adding, "Five minutes, young lady."

Taking one more look inside my closet, I took a deep breath before closing the door. Seconds later, I raced downstairs with my things and made my way into the kitchen to grab a quick bite to eat.

Once we arrived at the front of the school, I realized I forgot my gym bag. "Mom I-"

"It's in the backseat," she said knowingly while placing the car in park.

"You're always one step ahead of me," I told her as I retrieved the duffel bag from the back. Then shut the door, walking towards the back of the car.

"I have to be with you," she teased, locking the car with the press of a button.

Upon entering the building, I noticed that the hallways weren't as overcrowded with high schoolers rushing around the place.

"We're still having lunch together, right?" I asked.

"Of course," she smiled, placing a small kiss on the top of my head. "I better get going. I have an early meeting to attend to. I'll see you then, ok?"

"Okay," I nodded as I pulled away from her warm touch.

At the sound of the bell, I trailed behind a few classmates inside the auditorium.

"Hey, Soph!!"

I looked over to see the brown haired girl, waving me over as I soon joined her. Together, we walked backstage to get into character. While the girls happily pampered around in the mirrors, the male actors sat in a circle where they complained about their silly appearances.

Eventually, Mrs. Patel arrived on stage with a look of frustration as she clapped her hands, drawing the attention of the performers dressed up in their costumes for the dress rehearsal.

"Alright, we need a new Ariel. Apparently, Rylee had broken her arm," she sighed as the young girl dressed as Carlotta eagerly raised her hand. "No, Gianna, you may not play her part, no matter how much you've practiced the role." Mrs. Patel silenced the girl's protests, causing her to pout as a few snickers were passed around.