Chapter 45

2089 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Amanda lifted down the lantern from the hook, stood still for a moment and then hung it up again.

"Enar, would you mind taking down the clothesline, it's warmer inside. I'll just put the blanket over Sofie."

"Sure thing." Enar shuffled around on the chest until he could hop down on the ground. "Sure thing."

His brain wobbled, and he reached out to put a hand on the chest for support. So, that cider was pretty strong after all. He smiled to himself. Good thing he hadn't had that much. A light buzz would be fine. He could handle that - and a cup of hot mulled cider would do him a world of good.

Enar pulled the blanket closer around himself and waddled over to the clothesline. Amanda had disappeared into the stables, fussing over her Sofie.

He took down the clothes first, hung them over his shoulder and then fiddled with the knots that held up the rope. Once done, he bundled it all up in his arms, the clothes wet agains his chest, and went to stand by the door of the barn, next to the cart.

Outside, in the darkness, the rain kept falling. It would never stop - ever.

Shivering, and not just from the cold clothes he carried, he closed his eyes. Soon, he'd cross the little open space and enter the cider-house. This could be the worst mistake he'd ever made, or his best.

Yes, he'd heard the stories. No, he didn't believe them, not really. But, still, you never knew...

Well, he couldn't back out now. He'd do it. He had to. He'd said he would. This was what they'd all told him - what he'd told himself even. He needed to loosen up.

If defying old superstitions and going into a cider-house with a pretty girl wasn't loosening up, then he didn't know what was. He couldn't tell anyone, of course, but if they knew, they wouldn't think him uptight and boring anymore. Oh, if they only knew.

He grinned to himself and stood up a little straighter, but, deep in his belly, that little ball of worry kept churning, and the grin fell away.

"Are we ready?" Amanda appeared beside him, holding the lantern in one hand, and a blanket in the other.

"Yes." He nodded, clenched his teeth, and tried to pull a smile on. "I think we are." No turning back now.

"Could you hold this for a moment?" Amanda held out the lantern for him to take.

"Sure?" He adjusted his grip on the wet clothes and reached out his free hand to take the lantern.

Amanda shook out the blanket and draped it over both of them, just like Enar had held the tarp while on the cart earlier.

She grinned at him, the flame of the lantern reflected in her eyes. "Ready?"

"Ready."

Enar looked at Amanda. Amanda looked at Enar.

Enar nodded. Amanda nodded.

Together, they stepped out of the barn.

They hurried through the rain, towards the cider-house - a dark, grey colossus in the darkness just beyond the circle of light. Splashing through mud and puddles they reached the loading bay and climbed a short flight of stairs leading up on it.