Chapter 34

3246 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

The planks of the bridge creaked reassuringly under him, just like a good old bridge should. The others had all left to get back to their chores and Enar had headed for the shrine on the little island in the lake.

Now he stood in the middle of the gangway across the water. He leaned on the railing and looked down at his reflection. It probably stared back. He couldn't quite make out any details, and he didn't really care. It was nice just to stand there - too full to move around. The slight motion of the waves was just enough to keep his attention.

He picked at the railing. The paint flaked a little in places. Probably time to repaint it soon. The wood was smooth and round, as if generation upon generation of anfylk had dragged their hands along the rails, or stood leaning on it, just like he stood now, looking out over the lake. They probably had.

A breeze came dancing across the water, creasing the waves and ruffling his hair, before continuing on up into the garden. Enar sighed and stood up. Time to go look at that shrine.

The island itself was a big pile of rocks and boulders, with thorns and reeds growing wild and unkempt in the cracks. A narrow path lead up to the top, where a small, neat, lawn had been laid out. Right in the middle of the lawn, at the very center of the island, stood a pedestal - about chest high, and with a round blue stone the size of his head resting on its top.

As he stepped closer, motion within the blue sphere caught his eye, like it was made of glass, or some kind of crystal - transparent. He stared into it.

The blue twilight world inside the stone spun and twisted as his eyes moved over its surface - a distorted reflection of the real world outside. Rocks and bushes stretched and became endless fingers that reached into view from beyond the edges of the sphere.

He stood very still, trying not to move his head. A holy shrine with a magical crystal. What would he see? What would he learn? He held his breath and kept looking, studying the strange and mystical world within.

Something flashed at the edge of vision. A small, blue, bird swooped in, landed in the blue grass and flew off again, flashing away on the other side of the view. Nothing else happened. Slowly, he breathed in, and out - waiting, watching; for what he did not know. He'd know it when he saw it.

Beyond the grass - rocks and thorns. Beyond the rocks - the lake. Beyond the lake - forests and hills, burrows and streams; a world he couldn't see but that he knew was there, and that he saw in his mind.

He saw the old tree on the hill. He saw the oaks in the field and the gazebo by the lake. He saw Bolvar lounging in the sun and little Herb chasing his first butterfly. He saw - in his mind - life in the hillsides and knew he didn't belong.

He could come back and visit as often as he wanted, but all he could do was pretend. He'd never be a man of the hills.

Maybe that was just as well. It must get really cold in the winter - and no running water. First thing he'd do when he got back home was take a hot shower.

Something bright swirled in the edges of the blue sphere and a swan emerged out on the lake, shortly followed by another. Tiny, and pale blue in the crystal ball, they glided across the water; slow and majestic, even at a distance.

Enar sighed to himself. Swans mated for life, didn't they? He tore his eyes away from the crystal ball and shrugged. Enough already. He knew. Hopefully Amanda would be here soon - so he could go home. He sighed again and shook his head.