Chapter 38

2509 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

With the basket in one hand and the last sandwich in the other Enar followed Amanda in among the trees. Here, out of the wind, flies buzzed and butterflies fluttered. Wide swathes of light came down through gaps in the trees, making the shadows in under the branches even darker.

He took a bite of the sandwich and chewed. Ham and cheese and tomato. Basic, but good. Ahead of him, Amanda bent down and snatched up a little white flower from the ground. She sniffed it, tossed it away and skipped a few steps along the path, arms swinging.

"Will you be okay driving the cart?"

"Yes, of course," she said over her shoulder. "Why?"

"Oh, nothing, just making sure you're not too woozy."

"Me?" Amanda giggled. "I'm fine. A little happy, maybe - but there's nothing wrong with the is there?" She smiled again, and the sun shone a little brighter.

"Good, good." Cheeks wide, he raised an eyebrow and took another bit of the sandwich.

"I didn't drink that much, did I?" She walked straight - steady, and without flailing. "You helped too."

"Mmm..." he said around a mouthful of bread. He swallowed and coughed to clear his throat. "I also didn't drink that much, and that stuff was strong."

"It's fine. Don't worry. It's not like there are cops out here anyway." Amanda laughed and spun around to face him, eyes wide and a big grin on her face. "Or are there?" She gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. "You are the police Enar. You're a secret undercover agent here to arrest me for drunk driving."

Enar just stared at her.

Amanda giggled. "You'd make a great secret agent Enar. I could never believe you were a cop."

"Thanks..." Enar frowned. "I think."

She patted him on the shoulder. "Relax. I'm just messing with you."

Smiling, Amanda snatched the last bit of the sandwich from his hand, turned around, and continued up the path. Enar just stood there, staring after her, with his empty hand halfway to his mouth.

A moment later he shrugged and hurried after her.

When they reached the gardens Amanda stopped. "Here. Give me the basket."

"Sure. Here." Enar held it out to her.

"Just a moment." She fussed around with the towels, making sure they covered the urn completely. "There, all good. I'll take it now." Amanda threw him a smile and hung the basket on her arm.

"Thanks. It's no bother though, I can carry it for you if you want."

"I know, but you're a guest here. No one's going to offer to carry the basket for me." She winked at him. "I don't want to risk anyone seeing what urn I took."

"I see." Enar nodded. "Sure... anything else?"

"No, that's it. Let's go." Amanda tossed her head and set off; past the dhendron and on to the path that lead down to the bridge at the center of the garden.

"Wait." Enar stopped and pointed up the path he'd come down this morning. "Aren't we going this way? That's up to the burrow isn't it?"

Amanda frowned at him for a moment and then shone up. "No, that's the Pilgrim's Route. Only people who come here for the first time go that way. The rest of us go through the burrow."