Chapter 29

3799 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Evening had turned all the colors into blues. Grass, trees, the stairs, and the path - all dark and darker shades of blue, almost black. Enar strode up through the orchard; a wolf stalking through the trees, hunting for food - maybe even a pipe.

Up ahead, colored lanterns glinted through the trees, welcoming him back.

He'd dawdled on the way; stopped to look at trees and stones and darkened hillsides. Not that he'd seen much with sun set and the light mostly gone, but that was beside the point. The shadows held their own secret beauty.

Now that he was back he moved with a purpose; climbing the path to the front porch of the burrow with its colored lanterns and familiar company. He'd have a cup of tea and maybe some left-overs from the family's dinner. They'd have eaten by now.

Then they'd sit around and talk for a bit, him and Rolf and maybe some of the others, watch the moon come out and crack some stupid jokes - like old friends.

Perhaps Rolf would offer him a mug of cider. He'd decline of course. He'd had enough last night for sure. Maybe they'd smoke a pipe though. He'd quite like that: a normal, honest, no-nonsense pipe - without any visions or strange herbs in it. That would be perfect.

Rolf would make fun of him of course - ask about his girlfriend. He cringed at the thought, but he'd just have own up and deal with it. It was unavoidable.

He'd have to admit to meeting Amanda under the tree yesterday too.

When he thought about it, he couldn't quite come up with a good reason for why he'd lied. It didn't much matter. What was done was done, and he'd just have to live with it. He was a grown man. He could face the consequences of his actions.

Tired, but with his back straight, he strode through the ring of colored lanterns and stepped up on the porch where Rolf and Beired sat waiting.

Beired sat in her chair at the end of the table. She wore a knitted shawl in red and black across her shoulders but otherwise looked just like she hadn't moved and inch since he left this morning. Beside her, in Linnea's usual spot and wearing a different shirt than down at the gazebo, sat Rolf, smoking a pipe. The table looked to have been mostly cleared of the evening meal. Only a few cups and some candles remained - as well as two more pipes and a small leather pouch.

"Enar my friend." Rolf boomed. "There you are. Come sit down." He smiled and pointed at the chair across from him at the table.

Beired said nothing, but her eyes followed him as he came around and take his seat.

Enar sat down, stretched his legs and let them rest. Somehow the climb up through the orchard had squeezed the juices out of them more than all the walking he'd done the entire day - including the stairs in the tree. He closed his eyes and relaxed. Air sighed out of him and for a moment he sat absolutely still, enjoying the thought of not having to move again any time soon. "Thanks. It's good to be back."

"Indeed my friend. Indeed." Rolf raised his pipe in salute. "How was your date?"

Enar blushed. Straight to the point then. "Well... it was..." He stopped and cleared his throat. He shifted in his seat, and his cheeks grew a little warmer. "There's something else first."

"Oh?" Rolf leaned back in his chair and sucked on the pipe.

"I'm afraid... well, actually..." Enar sat up straight, hands on his knees, and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, but I've lied to you." He swallowed. His face burned.