Chapter 2

2936 words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can – and probably will – be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

 +++

Just like the train, the road separated two lands – the plains to the north and the forest to the south. Unlike the train, the road twisted and turned, hugging the tree-line – instead of just shooting by in a straight line out on the plain.

The band of grassland, with its little trees and bushes, that had separated the railroad from the trees didn't exist here. The plain came all the way up to the road and the forest began right away on the other side, with the road like a narrow strip of beach along some rugged coastline.

The sun kept beating down on them, but a mild breeze came in from the north and kept the day from getting too warm.

Now and then they passed little cottages – alone, or in groups of two or three – snuggled up among the trees near the road. Here and there out on the plain, barns and sheds had been built, and in one spot a lone cow stood staring at them as they went past.

What's with all the little houses? Enar still hadn't seen any burrows since he arrived. Hasse would probably know. He'd ask him in a bit. The old man seemed busy regaling Jorg with the latest gossip, and it wasn't like it was very urgent anyway. He leaned back against the apples and listened in as the driver babbled on.

“...and did you hear they had a bear up in Rastebo this winter? Mauled some sheep and the locals couldn't get rid of it. Had to call in help from all the hillsides they did. Biggest bear he ever saw, old Lennart said, beat him up good it did too.”

“Oh, no, I didn't hear that,” said Jorg. “Did they manage to drive it off in the end?”

“Oh, yes they, did, but not before it killed young Torkel from Kvarn.” Hasse fell silent for a moment and then cleared his throat. “See, lad up and went after it on the lone. Wanted to impress his lass he did, little Emma – Herman's daughter you know, Kvarn too – and wasn't that a fine affair. A scandal if ever there was one.”

“Oh?” Jorg nodded.

“Aye, for sure.” Hasse turned his head and spat over the side of the cart. “Came spring, little Emma's already got herself betrothed to young Egon – that's Torkel's younger brother.” He snorted and shook his head. “No shame those people. Got their eyes set on Herman's burrow they do, setting their daughter on his last sons like that. It's a scandal I tell you. No shame.”

Brunolf leaned over and taped Enar on the shoulder. “Are you getting any of that?” he whispered.

“No.” Enar shook his head. “It's just a load of names.”

“I didn't know there were bears here.” Brunolf's glanced over at Hasse. “Do you think it's still around?”

“Me either. I didn't read anything about it.” The brochure hadn't mentioned any dangerous wildlife at all. Then again, it probably wouldn't.

Brunolf grinned. “He's probably just making it up. The old fart likes to talk.”

That was definitely a possibility. Enar hummed and nodded. “It's very pretty here, isn't it?”

“Yeah, I'll try and sneak some pictures later. Got my phone hidden away in my suitcase.” Brunolf raised his eyebrows and smirked.

“I actually brought mine too.” Enar blushed. “Do you know why we're not supposed to use them?”