Chapter 37

3131 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Enar watched her stalking off and then started forward himself, wading through the shallows up onto the beach. When the water was halfway down his shins he started jogging, then running, covering himself with his hands and keeping a close eye on Amanda.

He reached the basket, snatched up the towel and started wrapping it around himself. With shaking hands he secured the thick cloth around his waist. Finally, he could breathe out and relax. He stood straight, stretching his arms up in the air.

Done. Sorted. Safe.

That wasn't so bad now was it? He knelt down and located his underpants under the shirt. With a satisfied smile he pulled them on, managing not to drop the towel in the process. There. In control again.

Glancing towards Amanda, pulling her dress over her head, he sauntered over to where his jeans lay. He picked them up and shook them out, making a little bit more noise than strictly necessary. With a shake of his hips - and just a little help from his free hand - he loosened the towel and dropped it on the ground. Then, whistling under his breath and gazing out over the lake, he pulled his jeans on.

"You'd better be decent now." Yelled Amanda. "I'm bored of starring at the forest."

"Pfft, I saw you peeking." Enar stretched and grinned, the sun warming his bare chest.

"You wish." Amanda walked past him, in the direction of the basket. "It's not like you have anything to be ashamed of anyway."

Enar spluttered - words coming out sideways and backwards and in the wrong order or just getting stuck halfway. His face burned.

Amanda just laughed at him. "Seriously Enar, you really need to get out and meet someone. It's not such a big deal.

"No, no... I mean yes." Enar sighed and looked down into the grass. "I know."

"Good boy, now come sit down." Amanda still had a giggle in her voice, and probably a big grin too. "I'm not going to drink alone."

"Drink?" Enar looked up.

"And eat." She held up the basket and smiled. "I got us a cider and some sandwiches."

"Oh, nice." Enar picked up his towel and walked over. "I had some workman's cider with Rolf yesterday. Is it the same? It was real nice. Weak, but refreshing.

Amanda lifted an urn, similar to the one from yesterday, out of the depths of the basket. "Yep, exactly. Just the thing after a swim in the lake," she said with a grin and winked at him.

"Awesome. I really liked that."

Amanda had laid her towel to dry in the grass and sat next to it, directly on the ground, with the basket in front of her. Enar followed her example and laid his towel out too, before sitting down next to Amanda. His mouth watered as he eyed the cider-urn.

"Here you go, workman." Amanda removed the plug from the urn and lifted it up in both hands. "Slake your thirst." Bowing her head in mock servitude, she held out the urn for him to take.

Enar grabbed the urn - smaller than the one from yesterday - put it to his lips and drank deep. Liquid autumn gushed down his throat - cinnamon, cloves, and apples, apples, apples. Strong apples. He coughed, spraying cider everywhere.