Chapter 20

4987 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Under the old tree, on the big hill, sat a small man, feeling stupid. All around him, the world went on as usual; the sheep ate, the wind blew, and the dog slept.

High above, the sun made her way through the afternoon sky, towards a glorious sunset. Not that she would set for hours yet, but on a day like this, that can't quite decide if it's spring or summer, every sunset is a thing of beauty.

The old tree stood with the man and held his hand. It showed no sympathy. It didn't judge. It knew about time, and with time, the little man felt less stupid. He still was, but he could live with that. He'd made mistakes in the past, and he'd make mistakes in the future. He would live with that, and maybe, his goddess willing, he'd be allowed to make up for some of them. The tree held his hand and told him she would.

Enar stepped out of the forest and up on the road, Bolvar close behind. Almost home. He looked back at the opening in the trees he'd come from. It seemed so long ago now that he'd stepped in there this morning, worried and afraid.

"Well buddy, it's been good, but it'll be nice to get back home too, don't you think."

Bolvar looked at him and snorted, then turned and began heading down the road towards the kennel.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming. Not much left now."

Sunlight painted the tops of the trees bright green, but down on the road evening had already arrived. He'd follow Bolvar all the way up to the kennel, to make sure Rufus knew he was fine, and then head back to the burrow. If he hurried he could probably be back in time to enjoy the sunset from the porch. Rolf had said something about a good meal and a drink waiting for him when he came back. His belly growled.

At the side of the road, where the path lead up to the kennel, stood Pride. She started barking when she saw them, but stayed at her spot and did not run to meet them. Bolvar barked once and Pride fell silent.

No other dogs could be heard. None of the baying from this morning echoed through the tress. Maybe they were done barking for the day? It probably didn't work like that, but that was beside the point; if he got himself a dog he'd have to read up on how to care for them and then he'd surely find out. Perhaps they were all out hunting - or something.

"There you are finally. Welcome back lad. Did you have a good day?"

Enar started. He hadn't seen Rufus, sitting on the ground with his back to a tree.

"Hello there Rufus. Yes, it was very nice. Thank you very much."

"Made it up the hill then did you. Good good." The man got to his feet. "The old beast give you any lip?"

"Bolvar? No, no. He was great." Enar turned to the dog and put a hand on it's side, stroking the coarse fur. "We got along real well in the end, didn't we buddy?"

Bolvar looked at him and snorted.

"Hah! I think he likes you lad. You can't be that bad - for a city fylk." Rufus gave a wry smile and nodded. "Off with you now. The day's nearly done, and I'm sure Beired's got food and drink waiting for you."

"I sure hope so." Enar grinned. "I'm starving." He raised a hand and touched his brow in salute. "Thanks again for letting me have Bolvar along."

Rufus said nothing; just nodded. He snapped his fingers and started walking up the path into the forest. The dogs followed their master - Pride skipping and jumping, hot on his heels, and Bolvar at a more leisurely pace a bit behind.