Chapter 14

5025 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Enar sat alone by the table on the porch outside the burrow, looking out over the evening and letting his mind wander. Soon, he'd go to bed - it would be a long day tomorrow - but for now he just wanted to sit there; enjoying the peace and quiet, watching the sun set behind the hills in the west.

She'd be gone soon. Already, she almost touched the horizon. Long shadows came creeping up through the orchard. A little further down the slope, Elsie and Linnea walked back and forth among the trees, lighting the little colored lanterns for the night.

The floorboards creaked behind him and Rolf appeared by the table.

He leaned on the back of his chair, looked out over the orchard, and sighed. "I guess I owe you that explanation, my friend."

Enar looked up at him. "You mean at lunch - the argument?"

"Yes. I'm sorry you had to experience that." Rolf pinched his nose. "It's usually fine during Restday... everyone's happy and everything's fine you know..." He shrugged and clasped his hands together. "I should have known better - it's not like it's the first time this happens."

"What's not the first time?" asked Linnea as she stepped up on the porch.

Rolf looked around. "Where's Elsie?"

"She ran off somewhere, chasing a squirrel or something. What happened?"

"What always happens? Your mom and aunt Gitta got into an argument - again."

Linnea's shoulders slumped and she let out a low groan. "Really?"

"Yep..." Rolf shook his head. "Amanda from Storvak showed up during lunch, and you know how Gitta feels about her. Poor Enar here caught the brunt of it, and you can imagine how the rest went down with your mother around. Not exactly the kind of hospitality I'd hoped to show."

"Say what!" Linnea gasped and put her hands on her hips. Wide eyed, she looked from her father to Enar and back again. "The crazy old hag took her failures out on our guest?"

"Linnea..." Rolf scowled at her. "Watch your mouth. Gitta has her faults, but she's still my brother's wife and your aunt, and you will show her respect - even if she doesn't."

"But dad. If she--"

"That's enough!" Rolf straightened up and fixed his daughter with a glare.

Linnea held her head high and stared back at her father - her face grim.

Enar forced himself to sit completely still, but his eyes flicked back and forth between the two of them.

"Your aunt may not have her manners, but that's no excuse for my children not to have theirs. Is that clear young lady?" He raised a warning finger and pointed it at her.

"Yes father, that is clear." Linnea's gaze did not waver. "But she's going too far. Enar had nothing to do with what happened to Brodrik. She's insulting our guest and our burrow, without reason."

"Yes, but it's for me and your mother to deal with. Once you're the matron of your own burrow you can run it any way you like, but you're still a daughter in mine, and you will behave as a daughter should." Rolf stared at the girl until she cast down her eyes and bowed her head. "You keep this in the garden. Okay?"