Chapter 4

827 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

"So I says to him no way my Rosalove would ever do such a thing and he should mind his own business and don't be no bother on my horse." Hasse cleared his throat. "That man has the sense of a dead pig I tell you. Never a word of wisdom crossed those lips and then he sets about telling me how to mind my Rosalove. Some people I tell you, some people."

"Yes. I know what you mean." Enar nodded in agreement. It seemed the right thing to do.

They'd dropped off Brunolf in Ballyroed a while back and Enar had taken his spot on the driver's seat next to Hasse. The seat was more comfortable than the back of the cart, but he had to put up with the old man's talking.

Hopefully they'd arrive in Hyardum soon; perhaps after this hill already - please.

"And then he said to me he'd gotten the juice from Rose and Squirrel, them there wandering monks you know. Only he said Rose already up and drank half of it and she done passed out by the roadside, and you know as well as I do monks don't do that."

Enar nodded and hummed, and tried to sit up a little straighter.

By the side of the road, a small stream giggled to itself where it flowed down the hillside, and all around them the birds of the forest sang to the afternoon. Enormous oaks and beeches rose out of a thick carpet of fallen leaves, with young tress and saplings crowding the trunks of fallen elders, vying to take their place. Rays of afternoon light shone down through the canopy above and painted everything a soft golden green.

Enar had no idea how much further it would be, but he didn't want to ask Hasse about it again. The previous time - just after they'd left Ballyroed - the old fart had launched into an explanation, gotten sidetracked by something he'd said, talked about that, and then something else, never getting back to the original question. Maybe he'd get around to answering it eventually, but probably not.

"And if Bolvar can't find them, then they ain't there he says and I told him ain't that the days truth. Better tracker there never was I said to him."

Ballyroed had been nice; a proper anfylk village, built around a small lake between two hills. They'd had burrows there, with round doors and everything. Where a stream - perhaps the same one that now ran beside them - fed into the lake, the villagers had built a mill, powered by a water wheel, and on the other side, where the stream left, they'd raised their inn.

When they'd arrived there with the carriage earlier, Brunolf's host had sat waiting at a table outside the inn with two sons. He'd sent the kids away with Brunolf's luggage, and then he'd sat his guest down in a chair and brought him a cider.

"So then I says to him he up and lost his mind. I tell him the blood of spring runs hot in that girl and I hear she may be part elf too and make no mistake. Wouldn't listen to none of that would he - oh no, not him no."

Enar suppressed a sigh and shifted in his seat, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees for a bit, letting his head hang. He quite sympathized with whoever it was Hasse had just mentioned.

It would still be bright enough to see for another hour or two, but shadows gathered where the trees stood close together, and the sunlight no longer brought the heat of earlier in the day. The wind had died down, and stillness wrapped itself around the forest. Different birds sang now - different songs.

Craning his neck and stretching his back, Enar yawned wide. It had been a long day. When he'd stepped out of his apartment that morning, the sun had only just begun to rise. Now, she'd soon start setting again, and he still hadn't reached his destination.

For the most part, his journey had been comfortable. Airship from Kul Viller to Hemsfil, and then train to Irnrad here in the anetacht. The last few hours though, being jostled around on a rickety old cart, with a crazy old country-bumpkin talking his ears off about things he didn't understand, had taken their toll. Perhaps it hadn't been that long, but it sure felt like it, and he was hungry too.

He hoped they'd arrive soon. He hoped someone would meet him. He hoped there would be food and drink, and nice bed to sleep in.

"And them there kids they're good people really and none would rat on the other. Shows character if you ask me. Didn't help them none in the end though and they all got sent off to help the tanners all the way to midsummer."

Questions - Chapter 4

These questions are meant to be answered from memory, based on your first impressions of the chapter. Please do not check back or re-read the chapter before answering.

These questions aren't meant to test if you've paid attention, they're meant to test what kind of impression the story has made on you. As such, any answer is a good answer. If your answer doesn't match with my intention for the story, then it's the fault of my writing, not your fault for not picking up on everything.

Please also bear in mind that some questions may be referring to things mentioned in previous chapters.

Over how long time do feel this chapter plays out? More like a few minutes, or more like a few hours?

Was something in this chapter unclear in a frustrating or confusing way?If so, what?

Was something in this chapter unclear in a positive or intriguing way?If so, what?

Did something in this chapter knock you out of the story? If so, what?

Did your feelings about Enar change since the previous chapter?

How have your expectations for the story changed since the last chapter, if at all?

Do you feel that this chapter furthered the story, or could it have been skipped, completely or in parts?

Is there anything in this chapter that stood out that you'd like to comment on a little extra?