Chapter 24

3962 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

"Dad, Enar! We brought lunch. I hope you're hungry." Linnea set down her basket on the edge of the gazebo floor.

"And I hope you're thirsty," said Elsie. "I brought lots of cider. Linnea. Help."

Enar winced inwardly. More cider didn't seem like a good idea right now. Not in the middle of the day, and not later either. Linnea helped her sister with the backpack - a large urn, padded on one side, and with straps for carrying on the back.

"We sure are you little mess," said Rolf and ruffled her hair. "We sure are. Aren't we, my friend?"

"Dad, stop it," cried the girl and threw her arms around her head.

Rolf just laughed.

Linnea put the urn down next to the basket and untied the padding - a large brown blanket. "Do you want to sit in the grass? Looks like there's sawdust all over the place in here."

"Cider..." said Enar. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" The urn looked like it held quite a lot.

"Don't worry my friend, it's worker's brew. You won't feel a thing."

"Worker's brew?"

"Made for quenching thirst. You can drink it all day while working in the sun, and you'll still walk straight when you get home." Rolf rubbed his belly. "You'll like it. It's great."

"I like it too," said Elsie.

Linnea looked around, searching for somewhere to spread the blanket. Grass and wild flowers grew tall everywhere. "Elsie, would you mind flattening the grass for a bit so I can spread the blanket?"

"Can't we put it on the beach?" Elsie pouted and looked her sister.

"The beach is too small and too close to the water." Linnea pointed to a spot further up. "There would be great. Be a good girl, and work your magic now."

"It's not magic!" Elsie stomped over to the place Linnea had indicated. With an exaggerated sigh she raised her arms above her head, threw herself on the ground, and started rolling around, flattening the grass.

"Oh..." Enar laughed. "I almost thought there would be some magic there."

Rolf and Linnea both grinned at that and from where she rolled in the grass Elsie could be heard giggling.

"Kids," sighed Rolf. "Doesn't want me messing up her hair, but doesn't mind rolling around in the grass like some ferret."

"I'm not a ferret," yelled Elsie and stopped rolling. She stood up again. "All done!"

"Thank you Elise, that was very nice of you," said Linnea and spread out the blanket in the newly flattened spot. "Get the basket will you."

Elsie ran to pick up the basket and, lifting it with both hands, carried it over to the blanket. She went back to get the urn and carefully placed it next to the basket, making sure it didn't topple over. Satisfied, she planted her fists on her hips. "Looks like I'm having to do all the work here, so I guess I have to do all the eating too. Such a shame. I made such nice sandwiches."

"Hey now," said Linnea. "Don't forget your hospitality. We have a guest too."

The little girl shot her sister an angry glare and turned to Enar. "Honored guest, will you share my humble meal with me." She curtsied and looked up at him.