Chapter 15

1797 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Enar opened his eyes and for a while he just lay there in the bed; too awake to go back to sleep, too comfortable to get up. Birds sang outside in the orchard and the morning breeze played in the curtains.

Today he'd go on an expedition - a long walk through the forest, and a climb up a big hill. Hopefully it wouldn't be too far. A bit of a hike would be nice, just not too long a one. The more he thought about it, the more he looked forward to it.

Even so, he made no move to get up. The day could wait a little longer. He closed his eyes and listened to the morning. There was no need to rush.

Somewhere outside in the orchard the laughter of children cut through the birdsong. The kids were awake and about. Better get up and get dressed. Before long, someone would come knocking on the door and ask him down to breakfast.

Enar yawned one last time and climbed out of bed. Leaving his pajamas in a pile on the floor he pulled on his jeans, and on bare feet he tiptoed through the little hallway and down the steps, to the washroom.

Last night, just before going to bed, he'd remembered they didn't have running water out here. Grumbling and reluctant he'd grabbed the jug and, lantern in hand, he'd ventured out into the night to fill up.

At the time it had been a bother - an unwanted chore when all he wanted was to sleep. He'd done it though, and a good thing that. No way he could have gone outside in his pajamas - not when others could see him.

Refreshed by the cold water he returned to his bedroom and donned a clean shirt.

Yesterday had been warm and he probably wouldn't need his coat today. He glanced at it where it hung on the back of a chair, hesitated for a moment, and then reached into the pocket and fished out his phone.

He knew he shouldn't be taking pictures. Someone might see him. They probably wouldn't be there just yet though. If he hurried, he could snap some shot before they came to tell him about breakfast.

Parting the curtains he looked out, but couldn't see anyone. A few minutes. It would do. Better hurry.

Enar switched on the phone - no new messages, no coverage - and took a picture of his bedroom. The click from the little camera echoed through the burrow; much louder than the birds outside. Heart beating like a drum he hurried to take another look outside. No one there. No one had heard him. He turned off the sound.

In the kitchen he took two pictures: one showing the little table by the window, and one the old iron stove.

Smiling to himself he headed for the washroom. Too dark. The first picture came out nearly black despite the candle he'd lit earlier. He turned on the flash and took a new picture. Behind him, the door to the burrow banged open.

"Enar, wake up," shouted Elsie. "Breakfast is ready. Mom says you need to come and eat."

His stomach sank and his heart raced. Had she seen the flash? Had she seen the phone? Did she even know what a camera was? What had she seen?

"Enar? Are you there Enar?"

"Yes." He cleared his throat and shoved the phone into the pocket of his jeans, hoping she wouldn't have noticed anything. "Yes, I'm here. Just a moment."

Leaving the washroom he found Elsie standing in the corridor peeking into the bedroom where he'd slept. Perhaps she was curious about his stuff. When he appeared she turned to face him.