Chapter 23

3946 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Enar stood by the side of the road across from the gate. Today would be a great day. He could feel it in his toes. He'd be spending time outdoors, with a good friend, working with his hands and being useful - fixing something.

Then, later, he could take it easy, enjoy the afternoon, and do whatever he wanted. Maybe he would go sit in the quiet spot and watch the clouds go by, or wander through the orchard, or sit on the porch talking with Rolf. He could offer to help out with something in the house. They'd decline, of course, but he could still ask.

Or maybe he'd wander down to the inn and seek out Jolene. He hadn't quite made his mind up about that yet. He probably wouldn't go, but at least now he had the option.

The road lay empty in the sunlight, warm under his feet. When he'd come down towards the gate earlier, he'd heard a horse and cart rattle past, but by the time he got out on the road it had already gone and the dust had bagun to settle.

How much traffic did the roads here really see? Old man Hasse probably spent most of his time on the road, and that Amanda woman had said she enjoyed driving the horse and cart. Surely there would be others transporting things back and forth between the villages. He'd seen plenty of carriages back in Irnrad when he arrived with the train. It probably hadn't been anyone he knew who'd driven by.

Driving around the country-side on a day like this seemed like it could be quite pleasant - sunshine, a mild breeze, the world in bloom. It might be a plan for next year - rent a horse and cart; drive from inn to inn delivering apples or something. Rolf would surely know if that was an option.

He'd have to sign up for driving classes when he got home. He could probably get a discount for that kind of thing from work. He did, after all, work for the law enforcement - not that he'd ever enforced order on anything less cooperative than a pile of paper, but still. The cops needed to know how to drive. Surely he could get a good deal somewhere.

Great plan. He'd get a lot of fresh air, and he'd get to see the sights without all the walking. On top of that he'd also have something to spend his time on back home. Living in the city he'd never had a need to drive on his own. The trams and subways would take him anywhere in town, and if he needed to go further he could take the train, or perhaps the airbus.

"Enar!" Rolf's voice from beyond the gate brought him back to the present. "Are you there? Could you help me with the door please."

"Coming." He hurried over to the gate and pushed it open.

On the other side waited Rolf, with a long ladder hefted on one shoulder. Enar went through and held the door open from the other side - to avoid getting in the way. Rolf had no issues maneuvering the ladder through the gate, but it would probably have been a bit of a hassle to do on your own.

"Thank you, my friend. Much easier like that. Will you be okay carrying the tool box or should I take it?"

"No, no. I'm fine. I'll handle it. No worries."Enar crossed over to the other side of the road where he'd stood earlier, picked up the box, and grinned at Rolf. "We can swap in a bit if the ladder wears on you."

"Nah, I'll be fine. Just making sure we don't wear you out." Rolf grinned back and started walking in the direction of the crossroads. "You're on vacation after all."