20. Not The Only One.

Ryan

Theres something about the auditorium that brings me so much peace and quiet. I feel like I can finally breath again. Like I can just relax. With everything thats been happening since being back here. All the drama in Glee Club, being slushied left right and centre, the quiet of the auditorium just offers me some well needed space.

Which was why I was on my way there right now. Not many people hang around in here, its mainly just the glee club, everyone else tends to steer clear of the place. So when I heard a girl's voice singing that I'd never heard before I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. I turned the corner and walked through the slightly ajar door into the back of the empty auditorium, spotting a girl sat on the edge of the stage singing a few lines of a song I didn't recognise and then writing something down on a piece of paper.

I walked in a little further as she began singing a couple lines and then stopped to jot something down again. I raised my eyebrows in surprise. She has a really nice voice. But who was this girl? I'd never seen her here before. I shoved my hands in my pockets feeling a little awkward. Like I'm intruding. It was clear to me that she was writing this song and I always thought that was something personal.

She went to sing again but something must have made her look up as she spotted me and a look of panic seemed to cross her face. I rushed to take my hands out fo my pockets and raised them in a kind of surrender gesture letting her know I mean no harm.

"Do you need to use the room? Because I can leave if..." She said shyly and went to grab all her belongings at once. I smiled at her actions.

"You don't have to leave" I said and she slowed her tidying. "Is that your song?" I asked and she stopped and looked back over at me. "If it was, then what I heard of it was really good" I said with a smile.

"It's really rough at the moment" She said putting the stuff back down and hovering awkwardly in her place.

"Well it sounds promising." I said with a smile "And you have a really nice voice" She blushed and looked down.

"What's it called?" I asked again and chanced moving a little closer to the stage edge.

"Either Home or Feels like Home, haven't decided yet." She said with a small but kind of sad smile.

"Seems like theres some emotions in there" I said and she nodded.

"Well when you're pretty much forced to move from everything you've ever known and then land in a very alien kind of a school, you could say I have some strong emotions on the subject" She said and I could tell there was some sort of resentment there. Something I could definitely relate to right now.

"I can relate to that" I replied vaguely.

"You're new too?" she asked tasing a questioning eyebrow.

"Yeah started a month into school" I said back "But I get the whole missing home thing. I mean I was born here, I lived here for thirteen years, then I moved to New York and the place has always felt more like home since." I explained.

"New York huh?" She asked.

"Yeah" I said with a smile "You?" I asked.

"South Dakota originally but we moved here from LA" She said with the same wistful smile as me.

"I'm Ryan, Ryan Hastings" I said with a smile and held out a hand to her for her to shake.

"I'm Brooke Anderson" She replied taking my hand.

"Well Brooke Anderson, you're very talented" I said with a smile as I let her hand go.

"I just can't seem to get the sound right on this one part." She said looking over at the notebook on the stage.