FOURTEEN

The doors to the main conference room were right in front of us as we left the elevator on the 66th floor. They were closed tight, and there was no doubt the meeting would be starting soon. No way we'd be able to get in through there, so I led Tifa and Barret around the corner and into a wide hallway lined with offices on the left side. Just in time, too. A chime suddenly sounded from behind us as we slipped quietly out of sight and the elevator doors opened again.

It was President Shinra and General Heidegger. As we ducked into an empty office nearby and watched them from the doorway, my hand clenched into a fist almost on its own. Tifa noticed and laid hers gently but firmly on my shoulder. Although it helped me relax a little and stay more or less in control, I still kept my eyes locked on Heidegger, anger simmering just below the surface as I thought of Jessie again, hurt and dying because of him. Her own father.

We heard part of his conversation with the president as they strode together toward the conference room to prepare for the meeting, and it wasn't good. Heidegger looked incredibly pleased with himself, as if he hadn't just brought about the deaths of tens of thousands of people less than a day ago. He stroked his beard and laughed like a drunk horse as he walked alongside President Shinra.

"I trust the narrative is intact?" the president asked.

Heidegger nodded. "Rock solid, sir. The people have embraced the Wutai-Avalanche conspiracy wholeheartedly. And I've almost come to believe it myself. All is going as planned."

President Shinra went on. "Wutai's response?"

"Nothing so far," Heidegger answered. "However, if those cowards do react, it will only help us and our story."

"Very well. Then we shall stay the course," he said.

Heidegger paused while an aide scurried over to open the doors to the conference room for him and the president. "Understood, sir. But if I may, there was one other matter."

"Go on," President Shinra told him.

"It concerns Avalanche. Some of the men I sent down to the slums to check on their status haven't reported in. Others have brought word that at least a few of those sewer rats survived."

The president waved him off. "That has been accounted for. There is no cause for concern, General. We have everything well in hand. But tell me, is your daughter among them?"

Heidegger shook his head. "No, not that I'm aware of. She must be dead. No more running for her. If only she'd minded her own business instead of putting her nose where it didn't belong, Jessica wouldn't have come to such a bad end. Foolish girl..."

I stiffened, my blood beginning to boil again, but Tifa squeezed my shoulder tightly before I even thought to move. It hurt a little, but I got the message clear as day and stayed put as Heidegger and the president went into the conference room. Tifa didn't let go until the doors closed behind them and the hall was empty again.

"We're here for the girls, Cloud," she reminded me as she finally let go. "We'll kick Heidegger's ass later."

Of that, I had no doubt. "Damn right we will."

Barret nodded. "We'll bring him down, don't you worry 'bout that. But how do we snoop on the meetin'?"

"Domino said the conference room smells bad," Tifa said. "Maybe we could ask around. Someone might know something. Or they could at least point us in the right direction."

I wasn't so sure. "That might just draw more attention to us. We've gotta find it on our own. You heard Heidegger and the president. They know we're alive. We can't take any chances."