FIFTY-ONE

It was nearly midnight as I sat by the fire poring over the map we'd brought with us, and what I saw there, I didn't like. We'd sat around for long enough, and now we needed to lay out a plan for getting outta the marshes tomorrow, especially in light of what I'd just seen. I sighed and motioned for Red to join me, and he padded over.

"We've got a problem," I said.

Aerith blinked. "What's wrong, Cloud?"

I frowned while Red looked at the map. "Trouble, if what we barely escaped from today is anything to go by."

"Three lakes, much larger than the first," he noted.

"Shit!" Barret swore, his eyes wide. "You think there's more of them damn snakes hidin' in there somewhere?"

Red nodded. "I'd say it's a distinct possibility."

Tifa glanced worriedly at us. "Can't we go around them?"

"They're all spread out about twenty miles south of us," I shook my head. "And the ground's likely as bad there as it was today, on all sides. If we try to go around all that, it'll take too long, and we may run outta food. We'd better start rationing it anyway."

"So what do we do?" she asked.

Red gazed intently at the map. "There may be a way through, but it won't be easy and does pose some risk."

Aerith looked at him. "What do you mean, Red?"

"The map shows a narrow strip of land running in between two of the lakes," Red answered. "Although they are quite wide, much more so than the first one we encountered, they are not as tall, and I don't think it will take more than thirty minutes for us to get through. Perhaps half that if we hurry and keep the chocobos at a run."

"And the third lake?" Tifa wondered.

I tapped the map. "It's a bit further south than the other two, closer to the edge. Just as big as the others, but no easy way past it. We'll have to follow the shore and hope for the best."

"We should stick close to the trees if we can," Tifa suggested.

"Agreed," Red said. "However, if Cloud is right and the ground is as treacherous and unstable as it was today, we may have no choice but to stay near the water and the dangers it may hold."

Aerith glanced at her staff. "I can use my earth magic to help us get through, too. Make us a path, you know?"

"Good idea," I told her. "Watch your energy, though."

"Will do!" she promised.

With our plan set, we settled in for the night. As always, I took the first watch while the others went to sleep, the girls going into their tent while Barret went into ours and Red curled up near the dwindling fire. The air was filled with soft sounds—a light wind, crickets chirping, the splashing of a toad in a nearby pond. The marshes were, as Aerith had said, a place with a lot of life. I could hear it all around us as I sat in the gloom and watched quietly over the others.

— — — — — — —

After Lydia had taken a happy bow and left the arena, I sang some more songs from LOVELESS, maybe a half a dozen or so—Sarah easily had the most out of anyone in the play, being the lead heroine, so there had been plenty for me to pick from. And I'd spent a lot of time earlier this week setting up tonight's program. I sang a lot of fan favorites and even cracked a few jokes in between songs. The crowd loved it, and the place was filled with their cheers, laughter, and applause. And as much fun as it was for them, I was having a blast, too.