TWENTY-THREE

Two days later, I was just heading back toward Jessie's room when I heard giggling inside. Aerith and Marissa had shooed me out earlier so they could help Jessie get cleaned and dressed. Food, rest, and plenty of potions had done wonders for her, but she still hadn't recovered all her strength and mobility yet. Everything that she'd gone through since the pillar had come under attack had really taken a toll on her body, and it would take time for her to get back to how she used to be. I didn't have any doubt that she would, though.

I knocked on the door. "Hello? You all done?"

"Yep!" Jessie called. "You can come back in now, Cloud."

Something had gotten her amused, I could hear it in her voice. As I opened the door, I saw that Tifa had joined the others while I was out. She was standing next to the bed on Jessie's right while Marissa was on the other side, carefully removing the IV and bandaging her hand. The sling was gone, too. Aerith was just folding it and placing it neatly onto the dresser as I walked into the bedroom.

Jessie was sitting up in bed, perky and alert, and was chatting with the others while Tifa guided her through some exercises for her arm to help her start to regain her strength and be able to use it again. I didn't catch what the girls were talking about at first, just glad to see Jessie up and about, even if it was only a little. She flashed me a cheeky, knowing grin, her hair slightly damp from being washed as Aerith helped fasten it back into the high ponytail she liked so much.

"I'm tell you, he was really amazing," Aerith chuckled. "Who knew SOLDIERs had such good rhythm?"

Jessie laughed. "Oh, wow! I so wish I'd been there!"

"Me too!" Tifa added.

"Hey," I said. "How's it go—wait, what?"

Jessie just winked at me. "Well, hello there... Claire."

My eyes widened. "What did you say?"

"You heard me," she teased.

I stared at Aerith, my cheeks burning. "You didn't..."

"She did," Tifa smirked.

Aerith smiled innocently. "Oops..."

Marissa giggled. "Your little secret's out now, Cloud. I guess Jessie's not the only performer around here anymore."

"Aerith..." I groaned.

"Couldn't resist," she admitted.

That didn't surprise me. "You never can."

I should've known the truth about my disguise and dancing would come out sooner or later. Aerith had had way too much fun during our adventures in Wall Market to keep it to herself for long. I let out a long sigh as the girls all laughed around me.

"Don't worry, Cloud," Aerith said. "We won't embarrass you about this... too much. But you were so pretty!"

"You really sold it!" Tifa added, eagerly pitching in.

I looked away. "Okay, got it. Moving on."

Jessie was wearing jeans and a plain white blouse with short sleeves today. More of Aerith's clothes, by my guess. I watched for a little while as Tifa continued working with her on her arm, having her try to some stretches, bend her elbow, twist her wrist, and a few other things. Jessie tried hard, her face drawn in concentration, but those bullets had torn right through her muscles and she'd have to retrain them. She strained to try and get through her exercises but couldn't move her arm around too well yet and had to stop, panting for breath.

"Whew! Took more outta me than I thought," Jessie said.

"You're doing fine, Jessie," Tifa encouraged her. "I wasn't expecting you to be back to normal right out of the gate. We'll keep working on it every day until I have to leave, so don't give up, okay? You'll be back to your old self again before you know it."