TWENTY-NINE

We set out early the next morning after a quick breakfast. Since I'd been feeling so much better after I'd started taking the medicine Cloud and the others had brought back for me, I'd decided to spend the night at home. It wasn't very far from Aerith and Elmyra's house, and I didn't wanna impose on them now that I was in better shape. I appreciated all they'd done for me since I'd been sick.

Of course, I hadn't been by myself. I'd taken Wedge home with me, wanting to be with him as much as I could after all that had happened lately and how I'd come so close to losing him. Biggs had limped along with us as far as the Leaf House, where he'd wished us goodnight. Then he had gone inside, waving to us and flashing us a crooked little grin. I was so glad he was alright, too. It would've been a terrible blow to have lost both my brother and my boyfriend.

But I hadn't, and I was gonna make damn sure I never did. Wedge and I had gotten home not long after that, and as soon as my door had closed behind us and we were alone, I'd pulled him to me and kept him close all night long, taking him straight to bed with me and showering him with love and passion. We hadn't done this often—it had taken me a while to feel comfortable with the thought of that kind of thing again after what I'd gone through at the hands of the Vice gang a few months ago—but last night, I'd wanted it, and him.

Anyway, we met the others at Aerith's house, all of us geared up for our respective missions today. I'd brought my gun with me—it was the same one Jessie had modded for me when we'd first met years ago. Just a sleek little handgun, but it sure packed a punch. Aside from my dark blue top, black denim capris, and matching leather boots, I also wore a pair of fingerless black and gray gloves and matching elbow pads. I had a brown belt and pouch on my waist as well.

"Ready to go, Lena?" Tifa asked.

I nodded, checking my gun as I stood with her outside by the front porch. "Whenever you guys are, Tifa."

Barret finished loading his gun-arm. "Then let's get movin'. We got a lotta walkin' to do to get to Sector 3. You an' Red go on ahead an' lead the way to that storehouse, Lena. Me an' Tifa'll follow jus' behind ya an' watch our backs. Never know what's out there, 'specially if Shinra really is settin' monsters loose into the slums."

"Will do, Barret," I promised. "And I also picked up some grenades from the weapon shop on the way here. Not as powerful as Jessie's, but they'll still get the job done, don't worry."

"Good thinkin'!" he grinned.

Just then, the front door opened, and the others joined us outside. First was Biggs, who'd gotten here before me and Wedge. He stepped to one side and held the door open, his movements more sure than they'd been yesterday. Lots of rest and medicine had helped him out a lot, and now he was just about good as new.

I couldn't say that yet about Jessie, though. She was still really hurt, but she wasn't letting that stop her, and I admired her for it. She was on her feet as she made her way slowly outside, but she had to lean heavily on Cloud to do it. He had his arm securely around her, holding her up and supporting her by the waist as she moved. As tough as she was, she didn't have enough strength to stand on her own. Not yet, anyway. But I was sure she'd recover, just like Biggs.

Aerith followed behind them, her bladed staff securely on her back in a loop of fabric sewn into her red jacket. Not that I expected her and the others to see much action, but it never hurt to be prepared. I had a few extra clips of ammo in my belt pouch myself. Cloud had that huge sword of his on his back, and Biggs and Wedge had their guns—unlike Jessie, they'd managed to hold onto them.

Behind Aerith was Marissa, who closed the door as we got ready to move out. She'd mentioned, after coming downstairs last night not long before Wedge and I had left, that she was heading back plateside today. I hoped she'd be back soon, though. Although I didn't know her as well as Jessie did, we were still friends. And Wedge and I were both eager to see Kunsel again after all he'd done for us.