SEVENTEEN

I found myself outside Aerith's house, the gentle rush of the waterfall filling my ears. Flowers covered the hillside just like always, and streams flowed peacefully amidst the gardens. It was nighttime, the sky dark and the only light coming from a few standing lamps placed here and there as well as the warm glow coming from the windows.

But I wasn't alone. She was there, too.

As I crossed one of the wooden bridges, I saw her. Jessie was standing with her back to me in the midst of the garden, gazing up at the steel sky and the city looming overhead. We could just make out a few stars in the gaps between the plate sections. They shone brightly beyond the mist and mako constantly swirling far above us.

"Pretty, isn't it?" she asked, still facing away from me.

I nodded. "Yeah. Sure is."

Jessie turned around then, showing no sign of the injuries that might still claim her life. My heart raced when she smiled, and I stepped a little closer to her, not really sure what was going on but just glad that I could be with her here, even if only for a little while. I only hoped this wouldn't be the last time we'd be together.

"It's been quite a while since I was last here," Jessie murmured. "Lots of good memories, even though I only lived in this place for a short time. It really helped, though. I needed the calm here."

"Aerith told me she and her mom took you in," I said.

She picked up a flower. "That's right. Just after I left the plate. Found my outfit while I was here, too. Made it myself, you know. After that hell house did a real number on me, I knew I'd need more protection if I was gonna make it down here and survive."

I noticed her Avalanche gear was undamaged. "Did a good job. Kept you pretty much in one piece when you—"

"No, don't tell me," she said, lifting her hand up in front of her to cut me off. "You see, I... I can't remember what happened in the pillar after I stared down that chopper. I've tried, but... it's all blocked out. And I have to find a way to remember it on my own to get out of... wherever it is I'm at now. Don't ask me why, it's just what I feel."

"Alright, but... what do you mean, where you're at?" I asked.

She lowered her arm. "Thanks, Cloud. It's kinda hard to explain. I've been hovering in the dark, and I'm not even entirely sure if... if I'm alive. I know something happened up there, something that sent me to where I am now. If I'm not... dead... then remembering what happened is what I have to do to come back. I have to know."

I took her in my arms. "You're not dead, Jessie. I can tell you at least that much. You're hanging on, fighting like you always have. You're here, at Aerith's house, and we're gonna save you."

"So it really was you..." Jessie marveled, clinging to me.

"What was?" I asked.

She gazed tenderly at me. "This might sound kinda weird, but... I've been seeing images of my life, as far back as my Shinra days, almost as if I'm reliving them. And I think I understand what it is now. It must be my mind's way of trying to figure out what happened to me. By seeing how I got there, I guess. Anyway, in the midst of all that, I heard you talking to me, telling me to hold on and keep fighting."

"You heard me?" I stared at her, my jaw dropping.

Her lips touched mine. "Every word. It's helped me stay afloat. I also heard Barret and Tifa, too. I don't know what's going on out there, but... I'm glad you guys are still there for me."