THIRTY-THREE

I woke up the next morning more rested and content than I'd been in a long time. What Cloud had told me last night, that I hadn't been to blame for the devastation in Sector 8, had felt so good, so wonderfully liberating. I hadn't realized until then just how down and depressed I'd been lately, always hiding it behind a cheery grin.

But now, my smile was real, and I felt so much lighter. As I blinked the sleep out of my eyes and rolled over, I saw Cloud laying next to me, still asleep, and thought fondly of what we'd shared together last night. He'd been so gentle with me, more than usual, and had helped me hold onto him as we'd made love. I hadn't been able to be as feisty and active as I'd have liked, so I had just laid there and let him in, riding the waves of delicious heat and pleasure he gave me.

My right arm and my legs ached from all the exertion I'd put them through last night, but it had been worth it. For the first time, I'd hadn't had to use our passion to hide from my pain and guilt. Those feelings, they were gone now, and I'd been able to truly enjoy my intimacy with Cloud in a way I never had before. And as for my climax, I'd practically screamed in delight, it had been so good. Sweet fire exploding through me in a blazing rush that was way better than anything Cloud had ever given me before. It was really amazing.

In the midst of it, I'd felt his warmth fill me, going on and on as if it would never run out. When it finally did, he'd collapsed into my arms, his skin as sweaty as mine. Still had plenty of energy though, in spite of how heavily he'd been breathing, and normally I'd have been glad to go another round or three once we'd had some time to rest. But last night, I'd already been worn out by then, my body still not quite where it used to be and already beginning to ache in protest after I'd pushed it so far. So I'd just held Cloud close and kissed him.

The top of his head first, as we'd laid there together in bed, panting for breath. Then his mouth once he'd lifted his face up toward mine. I'd pushed my lips against his, my good hand sliding across his cheek and my heart pounding. And at some point, Cloud had slid off me, but just to lay down next to me and hold me himself. I'd heard his own heart as I'd laid my head on his shoulder. We hadn't said much, and eventually, I'd drifted off into a contented sleep in his arms.

I snuggled up to Cloud, wrapped my arm around him, and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Morning, merc. Sleep well?"

"Yeah, Jessie," he answered. "You?"

I giggled. "Like a baby. You really wore me out last night."

He rolled over to face me. "Sorry about that."

"Are you kidding?" I teased, kissing him. "It was wonderful, Cloud. Makes me wish you weren't leaving today."

"I'd stay if I could," he said.

I smiled. "That's really sweet, merc. But I'll be okay. And like I told you before, you'd better watch out. By the time we see each other again, I oughta be in great shape. And very frisky."

He blushed. "Oh, uh... yeah. Looking forward to it."

"You know, for a guy who's still so adorably awkward about getting it on in bed, you're really good at it," I grinned.

"Thanks," Cloud said. "I think..."

I laughed. "Oh, you're welcome, SOLDIER boy. Good thing we got done before the others made it back. They probably would've heard me from downstairs. You know how loud I get."

He gave me a little smirk. "I'm lucky I can still hear."

"Well, as much as I'd love to just lay here with ya all day, I guess we oughta get up," I said. "It's almost that time."

"Kinda tough," Cloud admitted, his lips touching mine.

I shivered with delight. "Oh, don't tempt me..."