THIRTY-EIGHT

Kunsel and Marissa already had a table for us by the time we got to The Don's Delight a few minutes later, so we all had a seat. Then I filled them in on all I'd done today, from my therapy session with Madam M to my workout in the gym with Jules and arranging for our disguises at the clothing shop with Lydia. I finished up with how I'd tailed Tseng to Drunkard's Bar and eavesdropped on his meeting with Elena, where I'd watched him promote her into a Turk.

It was still a little hard for me to believe. I liked her, and to find out she was really one of our enemies had been a shock, to say the least. I'd been thinking of stopping by to see her since I was here in town, but in light of what I'd just found out, I didn't think that was a good idea. So I just sighed and put the matter out of my mind.

"You okay?" Kunsel asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Just a bit of a bummer, that's all. She got me out of a real jam that night, fought with me against those Vice thugs. But now she's the enemy, and I sure as hell don't like it."

Lena, who was sitting on my left, gave me an encouraging smile. "I know it sucks, Jessie, but it'll be okay, you'll see. No matter how it goes with Elena, you've still got all of us."

"Hear, hear!" Biggs agreed, lifting his glass.

"Totally!" Wedge grinned. "And don't forget Cloud and the others. They're all with you, too. We all are."

I smiled. "Thanks, guys. You're the best."

"Anytime," Marissa chuckled, returning the favor. Then she handed out three plastic cards, one each for Biggs, Wedge, and Lena. "Here are your ID's for the train, everyone. Jessie's already got hers. I should have the Shinra ID's for you in a few more days."

"Then we'll be good to go," Biggs said, taking his.

Kunsel looked at me. "Marcus'll have the portable battle simulator ready for you in the morning, Jessie. So all you've gotta do is pick it up at his shop and we'll get started. Marissa and I programmed it with the specs for your new gear so you can use it in there. Won't be the same as out here, but it'll let you get a feel for it."

"Awesome!" I said. "I'll head over there and get it once I've finished my next session with Madam M. Then we'll take it for a spin and train for a few hours. I can stop by the gym later in the day to meet Jules for my workout. Gotta get some new clothes, too."

"Sounds like another full day for you," Lena teased.

I smirked. "Like always."

We ate together and talked, planning for tomorrow and everything that was gonna come after it. I was a little nervous about going back to the Shinra Building—I had a lot bad memories there—but I knew what I had to do, what I'd decided on days ago. And I wasn't gonna back out now. So I just relaxed as best I could, enjoyed my time with my friends, and pushed my worries aside for tonight.

A little while later, we left and headed back to the inn. On the way there, I heard back from Tifa, who I'd shot a text to earlier before going after Tseng. It seemed they'd been on the road all day and had only just stopped for the night. She'd done some of the driving, which was why it had taken her as long as it had to reply.

Camping outside tonight. Cloud says it's better that way. Less chance of Shinra finding us than if we stayed in town.

I messaged her back. He's probably right. What's it like?

Her reply made me smile. It's beautiful, Jessie. Grass and hills, even patches of trees. So different from Midgar. But the stars are the best. I see so many, way more than I can count. Aerith says she's gonna try anyway. I haven't seen a sky like this in years.