THIRTEEN

"Ah, my precious specimen..." Hojo wheezed.

Although I wanted to growl, I kept silent. I would not give him the pleasure of seeing me react to his words. Instead, I stared coldly at him with my good eye as I sat on my haunches within the thick, cylindrical glass chamber that had been my world for the past year. I didn't move, aside from the almost involuntary way my tail would often drift about, the flame at its tip reflected in the glass walls of my prison, and I might as well have been a statue for all the response I provided. Hojo stared at me, his dark eyes greedy and calculating.

He was pale, thin, and slightly hunched, with a long white lab coat, dark clothes, slightly opaque glasses, and black hair tied into a thin tail that hung down his back. I had come to expect his visits and tests, but I didn't like them at all. The only means I had, for now at least, to retain some measure of control in this place was to refuse to go along with his twisted games and experiments as much as possible. Hojo was aware of how intelligent I was, of course, and I had caused him a good measure of frustration with my unwillingness to show it.

He went on. "Come now, Red XIII. You and I both know quite well that you are no mere animal. Also that you are the last of your kind. A pity, really. But don't despair. We can still preserve your wondrous race and ensure that it will not die with you. In fact, my procedure will save another nearly extinct species as well."

I knew better than to believe him, however. In my time here, I had been poked, prodded, and more. It filled my days, and it never seemed to end. I had been brought to the upper level of Hojo's lab today, which was also called the Drum. Most of the time, he kept me downstairs for observation, and I was due to be returned there soon. That was where I spent most of my time in this horrid place.

But Hojo had been unusually excited today and had kept babbling on about a new specimen that had just arrived. And for some reason, I was to be part of his experiments with... whatever it was. I hadn't been here in the Drum very long, but I knew this area well. It was filled with glass cylinders similar to the one that contained me. Some were empty, but others were occupied, most with all manner of Hojo's twisted, ugly creations, bizarre mutations and monsters. The walls were metal, and a pale blue glow hung in the air. I hated it.

It was then that I noticed for the first time that one of the cylinders held not a monster, but a young woman. It was directly across from me about twenty feet away. She was sitting on a stool, her hands in her lap and her head slightly down. Her light pink dress, short red jacket, long braid of chestnut brown hair, and small, slender hands were very out of place in this chilly, sterile facility but also quite vibrant. The girl hadn't seen me yet, though, for her eyes were closed as if in prayer or perhaps contemplation. She was holding together well.

Hojo noticed me looking at her. "Ah, I see you've found our newest specimen. A rare and magnificent breed, much like her mother. Watch her closely. If the procedure is successful, she will surely bear you a fine and healthy cub. And thus, both of your races will survive. Interspecies mating rituals are so fascinating to observe."

I barely managed to keep my claws sheathed. This was his plan? To breed us—myself and the girl? It was monstrous, terrible, and I had no intention of going through with it. I knew the girl would refuse to be a part of it as well. She hadn't moved, but I was certain she'd heard every word that Hojo had spoken to me. The only reaction I saw her give was a slight twitch of her fingers. That was all.

Hojo smiled cruelly. "If you will excuse me, I must go see my prize specimen now. Feel free to observe us if you wish, however. She is quite marvelous indeed. But vulnerable as well."

Then he turned and walked over to see the girl in her glass prison. She looked up and opened her eyes to reveal a pair of irises that were a deep, vibrant green, like shimmering emeralds. Hojo stood before her, but I noticed that he kept himself slightly off to the side so that I could see all that happened between them.