EIGHT

It didn't take very long for us to get ready once we all woke up and got moving. Wedge and Lena were awake too when I joined the others downstairs. Just as she'd told me, Marissa had come in during the night a few times to check on Jessie—I'd heard her replacing the medicine as I had dozed in the chair next to the bed but not slept, and the slow but steady beeping of the monitor had been both reassuring and a difficult reminder of Jessie's wounded condition.

After brushing my lips across her cheek, I had hurried downstairs. The rest of us had a quiet breakfast that Elmyra and Tifa had prepared, but there wasn't much discussion. All of us knew what to do, what was on the line with today's mission. Even Marlene was subdued, sitting as she was on Barret's lap as she ate.

Lena seemed to be feeling a little better, but she still didn't look like she was in good shape as Wedge hovered anxiously nearby. As soon as she'd finished eating—only about half her plate—she put it aside before laying down on the sofa again, her face flushed. But she gave us a weak smile as we got ready to leave.

"Good luck, guys," she said, her head on the pillow.

I walked over and knelt down next to her after shouldering Buster. "Hang in there. We'll get your medicine."

Lena clasped my hand. "Thanks, Cloud."

"Are you gonna save Aerith now?" Marlene asked us.

"That's right, honey," Barret said, gently picking her up. "So I need ya to be a good girl an' mind Wedge an' Miss Elmyra while we're gone. Take good care of Lena an' Jessie for us."

She giggled. "Okay!"

Barret hugged her, then carefully put her down. As soon as her feet touched the floor, Marlene went over to Tifa, who scooped her up and embraced her as well for a moment. Marlene went to me next, walking right over and gazing shyly at me. Although I knew she wasn't afraid of me anymore, I still wasn't quite sure how to approach her. Kids weren't really my strong point.

"Bring Aerith back, okay?" she said.

I nodded. "I will. Look after Jessie for me."

Marlene laughed. "Sure!"

After saying our goodbyes to Wedge, Lena, and Elmyra, we left the house, stepping quietly outside amidst the morning daylight streaming down from in between the seams of the plate. We stood there together for a moment, the four of us—me, Tifa, Barret, and Marissa. And as we did, Marissa pointed at our arms.

"Still wearing your dressings?" she smiled.

Barret grinned. "Damn right. Bleedin' mighta stopped, but we ain't readyta take 'em off jus' yet."

Tifa touched hers. "Not until after the mission."

"Yeah," I agreed. "We keep them on."

We all looked at each other and the red bands of cloth around each of our left elbows. Although she was dying and locked in a coma, Jessie was still with us. And with her help, with what she'd known and shared with Marissa, we'd rescue Aerith and in turn, save her, too. I looked up at the second floor of the house, my eyes reaching the upstairs window. Jessie was inside, clinging to life even as it was slowly fading away from her. We were running out of time.

I turned to the others. "Let's move, people. The clock's ticking, and Jessie's counting on us. So's Aerith."

"I'll meet you topside," Tifa climbed onto the Hardy.

"Right," I tossed her the keys. "Be careful."

She winked. "You too, Cloud."

"See you soon, guys," Marissa added, sliding onto the Gust.