THIRTY-FIVE

The day after Cloud and the others had left to go after Sephiroth, I was busy watering the plants and flowers here at Aerith's house as best I could. It was early in the afternoon, and I had the house to myself for a while. Elmyra was outside working on the garden with Marlene, who loved taking care of all the flowers—planting, pruning, all of it. I didn't blame her, though. It was kinda relaxing, and I'd done my share to help out the last time I'd lived in this place.

Now that I was feeling a bit stronger, I thought that it was the least I could do after all that Elmyra had done for me. So, as I carefully held onto the wall or the table or the sofa, I looked after the flowers and did a little cleaning, as much as I could manage. Wedge and Lena were out patrolling with the Sector 5 watch along with Biggs, but they'd be back in a little while for lunch. In the meantime, I hummed softly to myself as I worked, even sang a little. One of the songs from LOVELESS. And I wondered if I'd ever find my way back.

"Now there's something I haven't heard in a long time..." a strong, familiar voice said. One I knew so well.

I froze, my heart slamming in my chest. "Kunsel?"

Slowly, I turned around, and there he was, standing just inside the front door. He must've opened it quietly, and I'd been so lost in what I'd been doing that I hadn't heard him at first. But it was him. It really was. I just gazed at him, my eyes widening, and for a moment, all I could do was stand there, one hand holding onto the table. I tried to think of the kind of joking reply I was so good at making, but just like when Cloud had told me the truth about the bombings, I didn't have any words. All I knew was that I was so happy I wanted to burst.

Kunsel didn't look very different than I remembered, aside from a little stubble on his jaw—he'd always been so clean-shaven all the time, something I often used to tease him about because it made him look so much younger than he really was. But he still had his short brown hair, neatly parted to one side, and those bright blue eyes that weren't really all that different from Cloud's. He was wearing his SOLDIER uniform, purple with a black leather harness, boots, and gloves, and on his back was his standard issue broadsword.

Putting the watering can I was holding down on the table, I limped over to him, still so choked up inside that I couldn't talk, and he rushed toward me at the same time, the emotion on his face clear as day. I was in his arms just seconds later, clinging to him with every bit of strength I had. He was really there, holding me close just like he'd done so many times back on the plate. I blinked back tears, then decided I didn't care and just let them fall. I was laughing and crying at the same time, and I realized that he was doing the same thing.

Then I kissed him, pressing my lips against his for just a moment. I knew we couldn't go back to what we'd been before—I'd moved on, and I wanted him to do the same—but I'd also been waiting so long for this moment, to see him again after we'd been forced apart that night by my father and his men. And I knew Kunsel felt the same way. He returned my kiss tenderly, needing the closure as much as I did. And though the feel of his mouth on mine was good, it wasn't the same as it used to be. More like a memory. My heart was Cloud's.

Kunsel grinned as we pulled away. "Damn, Jessie... you still know how to take the breath out of a guy..."

"Guess ya missed me, then, didn't ya?" I giggled.

"I did," he said, serious now. "A lot. When I heard about the pillar, I knew I had to come down here. I wanted to save you, but... Aerith, she really needed my help. So I went with her."

I smiled. "I know. She and the others told me. But you did the right thing, Kunsel. Don't regret the choice you made."

He gazed at me. "You sure?"