NINETEEN

Rufus Shinra was standing on the balcony, his chopper sitting over on the helipad as he listened to Palmer, when we rushed outside. They didn't hear us at first, so I took a moment to get a good look at Shinra's new president and didn't draw Buster just yet. Better to avoid a fight if possible—Jessie's time was very damn short and getting shorter by the second—but I was ready for it if necessary.

I was a little surprised at how young Rufus was. He didn't look too much older than me, maybe just a few years. In his late twenties, by my guess. He was tall and slim, wearing a spotless white business suit with a long, matching overcoat that hung down to his ankles. It had a lot of belts, buckles, and pockets along with a high gray collar. He also wore a pair of black leather fingerless gloves and matching boots. His hair was short and reddish-blond with long, swept bangs, and his eyes were pale blue without a shred of warmth in them.

"And that's what happened, I'm telling you!" Palmer sputtered. "He was really here, sir. He killed your father!"

Rufus chuckled. "Then I owe him my thanks."

Palmer blinked. "W-What?"

"I came here to put him out of everyone's misery," Rufus explained, sliding a hand casually through his hair. "But it seems Sephiroth saved me the trouble. His timing is excellent."

"So what are we going to do?" Palmer wondered.

Rufus stared coldly at him. "You will get your blubbering ass out of my sight and onto that chopper. Now."

"Y-Yes, sir!" Palmer jumped. "I'll be going!"

He ran off, scurrying toward the helipad and boarding the chopper faster than I'd have thought possible. Rude was in the pilot's seat, and I saw Tseng sitting next to him. Reno was nowhere to be seen. Probably still licking his wounds after the ass-kicking we'd given him back in the pillar. As Palmer climbed aboard, a vicious-looking hound jumped out and loped over to stand next to Rufus. He lightly petted the beast, then turned as he finally realized we were there.

"I don't know you," he stated, gazing at me. "But from your eyes, I'd say you're a SOLDIER, aren't you? Which, of course, means that I own you. Do you, by chance, have a name?"

I glared at him. "Cloud Strife. And it's ex-SOLDIER. I quit."

He nodded. "As you wish. And your friends?"

"Avalanche!" Barret roared.

Tifa pumped her fist. "Bartender!"

Aerith twirled her staff. "Local florist!"

"Lab rat dog!" Red growled.

"What a crew," Rufus sighed. "Very well, then. As you may or may not know, I am Rufus, the new president of Shinra."

"Only 'cause Sephiroth killed your old man!" Barret scoffed.

Rufus smirked. "Yes. Rather convenient, isn't it?"

"What do you want?" I demanded.

"I suppose I can tell you," he said, pacing back and forth. "Think of it as my appointment speech, if you wish."

I folded my arms in front of me. "Just get on with it."

Rufus shrugged. "Fair enough. My father was all about money. He used it to keep the people in line. Worked well enough, I suppose. You work at Shinra and get paid. If there's an attack or a war, Shinra's forces will protect you. Looks perfect on the outside."

"But you're different, right?" I scoffed.

He didn't flinch. "Correct. It takes too much to do it like my father. I prefer a different approach, you see. Fear. I can control the world with it. Why bother spending money on people when a little terror will keep them under my boot just as effectively?"