TWENTY-ONE

Motorball had two guns mounted upon its face, if you could call it that, and fired at us as soon as it caught up. Tifa swerved the truck just in time to avoid the shots as Barret and I began our own attacks. While he responded in kind, peppering the mech with bullets, I hurled a bolt of lighting at it, the magical blast tearing into Motorball and scorching its hull. Much like the Arsenal and the Valkyrie, it was quite vulnerable to electricity due to its mechanical nature.

In the meantime, Cloud continued fighting that maniac SOLDIER. Their blades clashed again and again as they drove ahead of us, and the SOLDIER's taunts filled the air along with blasting of Motorball's guns. Then the mech suddenly tilted back onto its left three wheels, the right side of its body rising up into the air, and slammed back down onto the road. The impact shook the entire truck and jolted us hard. Although I had an easier time holding steady with my four legs, I still had to focus to do it. Barret nearly fell off his feet.

"Shit!" he swore, grabbing the top of the cab to steady himself. "We do not need that! Back off, trash heap!"

I growled. "Keep shooting!"

He took aim again. "The hell you think I'm doin', Red!?"

"Complaining," I told him.

"Hmph! Got any bright ideas?" he asked.

I nodded. "One. Cover me!"

While Barret blasted Motorball with more gunfire, driving it back, I leaped right onto it, clawing and tearing at its metal hide and hurling another lightning bolt into its body. Motorball swung at me, its clawed arm cutting through the air like a knife, but I quickly darted aside and circled around behind its broad torso to rip at its neck and waist joints. They were tough and reinforced, however, and so would not be easy to destroy. Nevertheless, I continued my assault even as Motorball pulled out ahead of the truck, taking me with it.

Cloud and the SOLDIER fought around it, separating briefly as the mech drove in between them. As it passed, Cloud slashed at the wheels while Barret's gunfire tore into it as he kept firing. And to my surprise, the SOLDIER also attacked Motorball, striking the wheels on the other side and laughing crazily the entire time.

As I ripped at Motorball's hull, it suddenly unleashed several small devices onto the road, explosives that went off a moment later directly in the truck's path and seared the road with electricity. I heard the girls shriek as they were tossed about by the impact, unable to turn away in time, but they appeared unharmed, and Tifa was able to keep the truck under control and continue past Motorball's trap. Then Barret called to me, his gun-arm raised and ready.

"Red! Get down!" he called, taking aim.

I did so, and he unleashed another of his fireball shots. It slammed into Motorball's chest, blowing off panels, and the mech staggered. But it was not finished yet. As the truck pulled up alongside it once again, I jumped off, hitting Motorball with my hind claws, and rejoined Barret in the back. Cloud and that SOLDIER had pulled ahead again, dueling ferociously while the mech resumed firing at us.

And then, Tifa abruptly slowed down, swerving aside as Motorball began spinning around like a top, streams of fire shooting out from the flame jets on its shoulders and scorching the road. She sped up again a moment later to get ahead of the danger, and soon the flames flickered and went out, at least for the time being.

But there was no telling when Motorball would use that dangerous attack again. I cast another lightning spell, blasting one of the wheels as Barret fired at another. My energy was beginning to run low, however, and I knew I only had enough left for a few more blasts of electricity. I would have to make each one count. Motorball caught up to us quickly, and I prepared to jump over again if the opportunity arose, knowing I could do more damage that way. But when I saw Cloud fighting against that SOLDIER, I had another idea.