FIFTEEN

When we got to the 68th floor, we stepped out into a short hallway. There were a few doors lining either side, but we ignored them as I led Tifa and Barret to another lift at the other end. Looked like there were a few different sublevels in this lab. I also noticed the outer walls had a slight curve to them as they rose to the ceiling. That meant we must've been in the drum section of the building near the top.

Hojo was standing in front of the lift with his back to us. He didn't seem to have heard us, as absorbed in his own thoughts as he was, so I nodded to Barret. He got the message and slowly raised his gun-arm as we crept toward Hojo. It didn't look like he'd pressed the button for the lift yet. He was just babbling to himself.

"So many variables," he said. "Hmm... perhaps a sedative to make the subject more pliable for the procedure. However, it could adversely affect the results. Wait, wait... I mustn't overthink it. Leaving her fully alert could prove interesting as well..."

Barret poked him in the back with his gun-arm. "Don't even think 'bout movin', asshole. I ain't bluffin'."

"Oh?" Hojo glanced at him. "What is this?"

"A dozen bullets in your head unless you call that lift right now an' take us up to your main lab."

Hojo shrugged and pressed the button. "If you insist."

"We do," I told him.

Inside the lift was another set of doors. It was made of metal grates instead of steel panels and slid open once we reached the next sublevel a few moments later. Hojo led us out into another short hall, and at the far end stood a pair of thick steel doors with a card scanner on the wall nearby. I pointed to it, my eyes narrow.

"Open it," I ordered. "Now."

Barret gave him a nudge. "You heard him!"

"Do stop pushing," Hojo said. "Unlike you, I am less accustomed to physical violence. It tends to get... rather messy."

"You'll get used to it," Barret growled.

Hojo walked over to the scanner. "Ah, you must be the ones who've been stirring up trouble lately. The eco-terrorists? Avalanche, if I'm not too much mistaken. What is it that you want?"

"Our friend," Tifa answered. "She's in your lab."

"Take us to her," I added.

Hojo cackled maniacally as he swiped his keycard. "Your friend, is she? Well... Yes, yes, indeed... That should do the trick nicely. It would be quite fascinating to see her reaction if I were to show her your fresh corpses. I promise... you will regret this."

As soon as the door opened, he rushed inside before we could stop him. We followed him into a large, multi-leveled lab. Much of the area was open, with an enclosed second level that could only be reached by two sets of stairs, one at either end of the room. There was another lift on the far end as well as a door near it leading to another section of the lab, but I ignored them as we skidded to a halt.

In the middle of the room was a large, clear cylinder made out of a thick, shatterproof glass. Hojo's testing chamber was sealed shut with a transparent door, and standing calmly inside it was Aerith. Her eyes lit up when she saw us, and when I saw her there, I felt a mixture of relief that she was alright and anger at her imprisonment. Hojo gazed cruelly at us from a panel near the chamber.

"So glad you could join us," he smiled coldly.

I drew Buster. "Aerith!"

Hojo raised his finger. "Ah, ah. There are so many frivolous things in this world. Are you going to kill me? I assure you, that would not be wise. The equipment here is quite... delicate."