FIFTY

"Yes! Yes!"

I was practically jumping up and down, and I wasn't the only one. I heard Madam M shouting, too, and when I looked over at her, we both shared a smile and laughed together. I'd known Jessie would win, but it still felt great to see her actually do it. She stood there in the middle of the arena, bruised and bleeding but still a winner as she gave everyone, gave me, a big thumbs up and grinned. And while I knew she probably couldn't see me from down there, I beamed and gave her one in return, so happy for her I wanted to burst.

"It's been a helluva night, ladies and gentlemen," Kotch announced. "One that'll surely go down in history!"

"But we're not done yet!" Scotch added.

Kotch nodded as he and Scotch joined Firebrand out in the middle of the arena. "Not even close! There'll be a short intermission, and then we'll have a very special surprise for you!"

"The fighting's over, but the fun's just begun!" Scotch said.

"So don't even think about going home yet, or you might just miss the biggest event Midgar's seen in years!" Kotch boomed.

While he and Scotch encouraged everyone to buy souvenirs in the gift shop, Firebrand made her way slowly out of the arena and into the tunnel. She was putting on a tough front, but even I could see how hurt she was. As if she'd read my mind, Madam M beckoned to me with her fan, and I walked over to see what she wanted.

"Come, Lydia," she told me. "Firebrand needs us."

I nodded. "Yes, ma'am. Gladly!"

Leaving the trophy with my parents for now, I followed Madam M out of the booth and into a hall that led to the elevator we'd taken to get here earlier. Once we got inside, Madam M touched one of the buttons on the panel, and we headed down. When we got to the bottom level a minute later, the doors opened and we stepped out into a wide hall that must've been the waiting area for the fighters. Madam M and I hurried down to the far end just in time to see Jessie stumble through the open gate, holding onto herself as she went.

"Firebrand!" I called.

She looked up with a pained smirk as she limped toward us. "Hey, guys! Damn, am I...glad you're here..."

Madam M slid an arm around her waist to help support her. "Easy now. You've gone through quite the ordeal tonight, my friend. It'll take half an hour or so for the staff to clean up all the wreckage out there, so you'll have some time to rest and recover."

"We're here to help," I added.

As I held onto her from the other side, Jessie laid her arms around our shoulders and smiled gratefully at us. "Thanks. I could... really go for some of that... right about now."

The gatekeeper, a guy wearing a wide-brimmed wrangler's hat and shades, gazed at her in both admiration and worry. "That was... I don't even have the words! You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah," she said. "No worries."

"Just have a seat in the waiting room over there," he said, pointing. "I'll go get you a few things from that vending machine down the hall. Medicines and stuff, you know? Won't take long."

Jessie nodded. "I appreciate it."

Together, Madam M and I helped Jessie walk over to the room that the gatekeeper had told us about. There was a table and a few chairs in there, and we eased her into one of them as carefully as we could. Jessie leaned back and let out a long, tired sigh as she sat down. When we let go of her, she chuckled softly and rubbed her arm.

"I need a vacation..." she joked.

I laughed. "I'll bet. That thing really did a number on you."

She winked. "Still kicked its ass, though."