TEN

We hurried across the street and into the shadows underneath the Shinra Building, keeping out of sight of the guards patrolling the main entrance. There were only two, nothing the three of us couldn't handle, but I wanted to avoid being noticed for as long as possible. Predictably, though, Barret had other ideas.

"How 'bout this?" he whispered. "We go for a frontal assault, guns blazin' an' all that. Make a good story."

Tifa frowned. "Are you crazy? Going in front?"

Barret snorted. "Hell yeah! Timeta kick some Shinra ass!"

"Why'd we bring you along again?" I asked.

"You got a better plan?" he growled. "Can't be wastin' time. Jessie'll die if we don't get in there an' save Aerith!"

Tifa grimaced. "I know that! But if we get caught..."

"Emergency stairwell," I decided. "Same way Jessie got out. Marissa told us about it, remember?"

"That's much better," Tifa agreed.

Barret sighed. "An' a helluva lotta climbin'..."

"Oh, quit complaining!" she snapped, glaring at him. "And look at it this way. You'll get a good workout."

"Or a goddamn heart attack," he muttered.

I glanced at Tifa. "We could always leave him here."

She stifled a laugh. "Tempting, but no."

"Wha...!?" Barret sputtered. "Oh, now that ain't fair! Them Shinra assholes've got a date with my gun-arm!"

"Then shut up and follow me," I told him.

Without waiting for him to answer, I got moving, ducking quickly into a nearby alley to the left of the Shinra Building. It was darker here, with a thick mako pipe curving along the base of the outer wall. Barret and Tifa followed me as I hurried down the alley, and it was only a few minutes later that we came to a dead end. But there was also a door off to the right. It was small, metal, and fortunately unlocked. A few words had been imprinted across it in bold letters:

STAIRWELL ACCESS

"Jackpot!" Tifa beamed, opening the door.

She darted inside without a sound, and I went next. Barret brought up the rear, grumbling under his breath. I ignored him, standing at the base of the stairs for a moment and looking up while Tifa did the same. It was, like Barret had said, a long climb. Looked to be fifteen stairs per flight, with a landing on each floor. And we had to get all the way up to the 59th. Wasn't gonna be a quick trip.

Barret eyed the stairs. "You have got to be shittin' me..."

"Nope," I told him. "This is it. The way in, thanks to Jessie. As long as you pace yourself, you'll be fine."

"Talk about outta the way..." he muttered.

Tifa started up the steps. "We've gotta get to Aerith somehow, and I don't have time to argue with you! I'm going!"

"Wait, don't go runnin' off by yourself, Tifa!" he said.

She paused halfway up the first flight of stairs and glanced back at him for a minute. "We're only talking fifty-nine floors, Barret. Nothing to it! So get moving, already!"

He sighed and followed her. "Only fifty-nine. Least we ain't doin' a race. Thank the planet for small blessin's."

"Just go," I told him.

We started climbing, going at a brisk walk to move at a decent pace while also conserving our energy. Well, Tifa and I. Barret just stomped up the stairs one by one, and he was already panting by the time we got to the fourth floor. He didn't stop, but I could see sweat beading on his dark skin as he swore softly to himself. A little ways ahead of him, Tifa kept going, her eyes fixed firmly ahead of her.