FORTY-SIX

I went to see Lydia the next morning at the Wall Market clinic. She was still asleep when I went into her room, just like I'd hoped, but both her parents were awake and greeted me warmly. Kunsel and the others had come to the clinic with me, but they were out in the waiting room for now. We'd all agreed that I should be the first one to visit Lydia, and I hadn't wanted to miss her reaction at what she was gonna see as soon as she woke up. She was in for a real treat.

"Jessie!" Gant smiled. "Mighty glad to see ya here."

Sarah hugged me. "So am I. You've done so much for us, Jessie. I... I can't thank you enough. Come visit us anytime."

I laughed as I let go. "Thanks. Always happy to help!"

"Please, have a seat," she said.

"How are you feeling, Sarah?" I asked as I sat down in a chair near the bed while she settled into another.

Sarah took her husband's hand. "Better. I ate and got some sleep, as much as I could here after Lydia was out of surgery. It feels almost like a dream to finally be free after all these years, you know? But it isn't. It's real. I'm with my family again. And I'm happy."

I grinned. "Glad to hear it! Lydia's operation went well?"

"Went just fine," Gant nodded, gazing at her. "Got that bullet outta there and patched her right up. My little girl's been asleep all night ever since they put her out, but I wager she'll wake up before long. Doc says she can go home once she's rested a while."

Lydia did look well, sleeping peacefully with her left arm bound up in a clean sling as she lay in bed. The heart monitor beeped steadily on the stand nearby, and her short brown hair hung close around her ears on the pillow. Her parents and I talked for a little longer, and then after a few minutes, she finally began to stir.

"Morning, Mom. Morning, Dad," she yawned as she woke up. "Oh, hi, Jessie! Good morning to you, too! I..."

Lydia's voice trailed off and her eyes widened as she looked around the room and saw what was there. Flowers, lots of them, of all different colors and kinds—mostly silk, of course, but I'd slipped back to Aerith's house with my friends last night and gathered some real ones, too. She gaped at them, her mouth falling open, and at the row of cards all lined up on the shelf. There were even a few balloons.

"Wha... how... where...?" Lydia stammered, overcome.

"Well, that just leaves why and when, huh?" I teased. "They're from us, Lydia, and from all the people you helped."

She blinked. "Me? But I didn't..."

"Oh, I might have let slip the fact that our little rescue mission was all thanks to you," I winked. "That it was the brave and beautiful Lydia who made it all possible! How you not only asked me to go down there and rescue everyone, but helped me pull it off, too. And I don't need to tell ya how fast word gets around in this town."

"Firebrand..." Lydia blushed, tears in her eyes.

I smiled. "Lots of people out there are wishing you well, as you can see. You're almost as famous as me now!"

"Oh, stop!" she laughed.

"It's true," Gant chuckled. "Folks've been sendin' flowers and cards and such for ya all night, Lydia. Ever since they heard what ya done for 'em and that you was over here at the clinic gettin' taken care of. So I'm mighty proud of ya, girl. Mighty proud indeed."

She beamed. "Thanks, Dad. And, um... sorry I didn't tell ya what I was really doing. And for making you worry."

He brushed it off. "Ah, forget it. You're safe with your mom and me now. All that matters. And you'll be outta here and feelin' better before ya know it. So we'll skip the groundin' this time."