ELEVEN

"Which ones?" Brennan asked.

I leaned forward at my desk as I spoke on the phone. "All of them. Every reactor, every pillar. Like I told you—a full inspection. No telling what sort of damage there might be. If you see anything strange or out of the ordinary, I want to know."

"Understood," he said. "We're on it, Director."

Satisfied, I hung up. Brennan and his men were some of the Urban Development Division's best engineers, and if anyone could find out if there was a problem or a danger in the city's infrastructure, it would be them. After what had happened to Sector 7 last night, I wasn't about to take any chances. There was no way to tell how the loss of such a huge part of the plate would affect the rest.

Although I was tired, I hadn't gone home since the collapse. There was so much to be done, and it kept me from thinking too much about Jessica. Worrying, to be more precise. I still hadn't heard from her, and I had started to fear that she had been among those lost in the disaster. Had I been right to send her to the slums two years ago? Perhaps if she had stayed, she would've been safe now.

Angrily, I thrust my doubts from my mind. Heidegger would never have let her find any peace up here on the plate. His dogged pursuit of Kunsel and Marissa over the last two years had more than proved that. The slums had been Jessica's only hope of escape, and until now, they'd been a haven for her. Although I wasn't sure how I felt about her being in Avalanche, it didn't surprise me. She had more reason to hate Shinra than anyone. I knew how personal it was for her.

I looked up when the door opened and my secretary walked inside carrying a sheaf of papers. "Here are the damage estimates for Sector 7 that you requested, sir. It's... pretty bad."

"I can imagine," I nodded. "Thank you, Janice."

She sighed. "Director Tuesti... try and get some sleep. You've been here almost twenty-four hours now."

I shook my head. "Not yet. I need to finish preparing my proposal for the reconstruction plan before tonight's board meeting. Destroying an entire sector is... it's beyond the pale."

"I wouldn't go saying things like that outside this room, sir," Janice warned. "I don't think it would be safe."

"Don't I know it..." I agreed.

She glanced behind her as the phone rang. "Oh, someone's calling. Don't worry, though. I'll get it."

I went back to my work while she left to answer the phone. I hadn't been expecting any other calls, and I wondered who it could be. Janice would tell me if it was important and take care of it if it wasn't. So I put it out of my mind and went over those damage estimates. They were as terrible as we'd feared, to say nothing of the cost in lives lost. I was still working when I noticed the phone light flash.

I picked up the receiver. "Yes, Janice? Who's on the line?"

"Marissa Tobin," she replied. "She says its urgent."

"Put her through," I told her.

I heard Marissa just a moment later. "Director Tuesti?"

"Yes, I'm here," I said. "What's going on?"

"Is this line secure?" she asked.

It wasn't, of course. Shinra had all its phone lines monitored. But I could easily fix that. "Just a moment."

Reaching into the top drawer of my desk, I pulled out a small black device and switched it on while still holding the receiver with my other hand. Putting the jammer on my desk, I hit a few buttons and it sprang to life, the red light on top beeping steadily.