They can't catch a break.

"are you sure you are up for school today? Marinette asked Adrien as she grabbed her books and shoved them into her school bad.
"i'm sure- i've got to act normal until... well i know where i'll be living" he gave a fake smile. The pair had been awkward all night, they had watched a movie with her parents to try and avoid any more weird encounters. Yes, the two did know each other as their partners- but in civilian form the two were still awkward around each other. Before heading to bed- barely speaking two words to each other. They let Tikki and Plagg do the talking. Both Adrien and Marinette had no idea how close their Kwami's were and loved seeing them playfully interact with each other.
"Plaggggg, stop messing around- Marinette likes it tidy! AND SO DO I!"
"what's the panic about sugarcube? i'll clean it up in a minute"
"i told you not to call me that"
Adrien had told Plagg to behave because they were guests and Marinette still couldn't get use to seeing him in her room, let alone interacting with a Kwami. But here they were, having breakfast in the bakery before heading off to school together- still in an awkward silence.
"Marinette?" Adrien asked, closing the bakery door behind him. Finally, no silence!
"yes?" she asked walking beside him
"are we okay?" He nervously asked
"i- uhm- yeah, yeah. why- uhm- why wouldn't we?" Silly Marinette, still stuttering
"it's just- we haven't really talked since last night, after i, uhm" he leaned towards her, lowering his voice
"kissed you- again."
"y-yeh it's that- i mean- it's not that- i love that- no- i love you- wait no it's not that- wait no i didn't mean i don't love you- i do- i mean" She would've kept going if it wasn't for Alya calling her name in the distance, she glanced over her shoulder to see Alya quickly walking towards her. Marinette took a breath
"we are good, i love you" she blushed and looked to the floor
"then what's the matter Marinette?" Her heart fluttered at her name rolling off her tongue
"y-you make me nervous s-still" She was surely the shade of a tomato by now.
"MARI!" Alya yelled out again
"we'll come back to this" Adrien whispered, giving her a wink and removing his hand from her.

They weren't far from the school so they weren't sure why she was in such a rush. She gave them a confused look
"why're you two walking together? and why do you look so guilty?" He facial expression changed and she quickly continued, not giving them time to answer
"never mind, we will get to that later- Mari, you need to see this..." Alya opened her phone and showed her a video of Lila talking to the class just outside the school. "What's this?" Marinette questioned
"just listen" she replied. They huddled around the phone and listened carefully.

Rose : but Marinette wouldn't do that?
Lila: oh poor rose, i'm your friend- why would i lie to you, i just want to keep you safe!
Max: yeah why would Lila lie about this?
Kim: i can't believe it either- why would she say all of them things about us?
Lila: she's been manipulated by Myura. I saw her with her after the Akuma attack. I wish we could help her- i hate to see a friend struggling. But my bestie Ladybug told me to leave it to her
Alex: we should leave it to the hero's. You're right. And after what she said about us. I wouldn't want to help her anyways
Chloe: Ha! Maybe i was wrong about Dupang-Chang, but there's no way i'm believing a thing that comes out of your mouth LIE-la. SABRINA.
Sabrina: yes Chloe?
Chloe: inside. NOW.

The video stopped and both Alya and Adrien waited for Marinette's response. Instead of saying anything Marinette started speeding towards the school and the gang of her so called 'friends'. Adrien and Alya followed closely behind where Nino gave them a 'what's going on' look. Nino was always clueless, but he just went along with Alya.
"WHAT THE HELL LILA!" Marinette shouted, pushing past the crowd of her classmates.
"Marinette I don't think you should be here" Lila said cockily "no one wants you here" She continued. Suddenly Marinette didn't feel so confident, she felt the eyes of her peers on her- piercing through her tough appearance she began to tear up. She stood there helpless, feeling alone and afraid of the people she loved. She was alone.

Until she wasn't.

A hand wrapped around hers and squeezed her tightly. It was Adrien, he had caught up with her and heard the whole thing and was absolutely furious. Something clicked in him- he needed to protect her, he couldn't have the women he loved feeling isolated and hated. He was there for her, and he was about to make that very clear.
"Lila for once in your life shut up. Stop making up CRAP about Marinette! You lie with every breath and it's about time everyone know what a FAKE you are." He was angry. Furious. Everyone was stunned at his change in attitude, they didn't expect it for him. Lila sat smugly- not even effected by his first attempts to expose her, but then he carried on....
"you're a lying brat- why are you making this up about Marinette? it's just like when you lied about knowing Ladybug, and being some weird hero descendant WHICH WAS ALL LIES." everyone gasped around them, who should they believe? Lila now appeared not as confident and realised she was pushing her luck. But he didn't stop there, he turned his attention to his classmates,
"i can't believe all of you, what did she say Marinette called you huh?" he asked. No one spoke up. "Cmon tell us! Because we don't know! BECAUSE ITS ALL LIES!" he was getting really angry now.
"Lila told us Marinette had said she called us useless, low-life's with no future" Alex spoke up. Marinette started crying into Adrien's arm at the accusations. How could they believe such bullshit!
"really Lila? You guys..." he said calming down a little "do you really believe Mari would say that?" Adrien asked. The classmates looked around at each other before Lila spoke up, acting all innocent and hurt by what he had said,
"Adrien don't you see what she's doing to you- why would i lie about this? I thought Marinette was my friend, i hate seeing her mix up in all of this..."
"i am NOT your friend" Marinette interrupted.
"Lila has a point, she has no reason to lie" Kim said.
"cant't you see it Adrien? She's put on this act to get you to like her... i mean, look at her" Lila laughed
"don't you fuc-" Adrien began. Before being dragged off by a strong arm, Marinette too. It was Chloe.
"What're you-" Marinette began.
"Quiet!" She ordered. "Look Marinette, i dont like you but i know she's lying and quite honestly you two were just embarrassing yourselves out there"
"Thanks but i think i was alright Chloe" Adrien hissed
"Adrikins, i have known you for like- ever. And i have never seen you act so ridiculous utterly, ridiculous! You can thank me later" She huffed before walking into the school. The two stood there, face to face, Marinette still crying and Adrien full of rage when Alya and Nino approached them. They made sure they were alright before heading to class.

The day was full of side looks and whispers about Marinette. Luckily the day seemed to pass pretty fast and soon enough she was on her way home. Her and Alya started walking like everyday after school except this time Adrien seemed to tag along.
"no escort today rich boy?" Alya teased
"actually, i'm staying at Marinette's" he said stiffly, they were going to find out eventually so why not tell her now. Marinette shot him a deadly expression and he doubted his choice
"YOURE WHAT?" Alya yelled.