Dinner

As soon as I emerged from the shower, feeling calm and clean in my fuzzy robe, I grabbed a pad of paper and a pen and climbed underneath the covers. Tapping the pen against my lips, I constructed my battle plan.

1. Go along with Mom’s plans so she suspects nothing.

2. Face the fact that to escape Mom and Grady, I’ll also have to leave Ryder and Bridge behind. (I wasn’t quite as upset about leaving Tom and Hardyn.)

3. Research family tree and find someone else to live with. (Surely I have a lonely aunt or something somewhere who would like some company.)

I scribbled my plan down quickly and then stared at it in silence. It looked very short and a little weak on paper. The plans I had formed in the shower seemed to be evaporating as quickly as the steam on the mirror had.

“Lindy!” Mom called. “Time for supper!”

I sighed and closed my notebook, hiding it behind my mattress. I threw on an old pair of sweatpants and a loose t-shirt, pulling my hair up into a wet bun on top of head.

The crisp smell of fried chicken made my mouth water as I followed my nose out of my bedroom and down the stairs. I was almost running to dinner, it smelled so delicious, but I stopped abruptly in the doorway of the kitchen.

The whole band surrounded our table and though they barely paused to glance at me or wave a quick hello, I was mortified. That’s the problem with having a boy band next door, you can never relax! I thought.I blushed scarlet and then lifted my chin. My stomach was growling loudly and it would only further my embarrassment at this point to run away or go change.

Instead, I walked quickly to the stove and picked up a plate from the stack on the counter. I tried my best to ignore the stinging in my eyes, but it was difficult. That’s another embarrassing habit of mine. I immediately feel like crying when I’m angry or embarrassed, not just when I’m sad.

I lifted the ladle, scooping out corn onto my plate. I could barely see the food in front of me through the haze of tears in my eyes, but gradually, with a few deep breaths, I began to calm down.

“Why are you taking so long?” Grady said from behind me. “I’m hungry.”

“What helping are you on now?” I asked shortly, continuing to take my time.

“Thirds,” Grady said, “but we worked hard today. We didn’t just sit around like you.”

“Lindy, let the boys get some food,” Mom said.

Carefully selecting the best pieces of chicken from what was left, I made a face at Grady as I turned. He didn’t even notice as he stared intently at dinner like a starving wolf.

I plopped down in the seat next to Mom and dug into my food.

“Where have you been all afternoon?” Ryder asked and I ignored him, sure he was talking to one of the other boys.

“Lindy,” Mom hissed. “Don’t be rude. Answer Ryder.”

“Oh,” I said, looking up. Ryder grinned at me, his expression unsure.

“Sorry, Ryder,” I said, blushing again. My fork trembled in my hand as I stared into his blue eyes. “I didn’t mean to be rude. I thought you were talking to someone else. I just went to visit a friend of mine.”

“A friend?” Hardyn repeated. All of the boys seemed confused, as if they hadn’t ever heard of having a friend before.

“Yeah, she’s older, but she’s nice.”

“An old lady?” Hardyn hooted. “You hang out with an old lady?”

“She’s not an old lady,” I said defensively. “I mean, technically I guess she is, but she’s nice and she has a garden.” And she listens, I added silently.

“So you help her?” Tom asked, shoving a spoonful of mashed potatoes into his mouth.

I nodded. Apparently every one of them found my hobby to be boring and they dropped the subject. The boys went back to their discussion of which gaming system was best and I used the opportunity to begin my attack on Mom.

“So, Mom,” I said, trying to keep my tone casual. “I’ve been wondering about our family. Do you have any relatives still living?” Oops, I thought, that didn’t sound good. And, by the way Mom was narrowing her eyes, I could tell she was suspicious already.

“Yes,” she said slowly. “Some distant family. But why the sudden interest?”

I shrugged, stabbing a piece of chicken with my fork. “Just wondering.” And I filed away this interesting tidbit for later.