Deleted Scene: Hardyn

I don't know what woke me up, but I startled awake in the quiet hours before daybreak when the sky dim and the sun just rising. I laid still for a moment, sure that I would fall back asleep, but the busy thoughts racing through my head wouldn't allow me rest.

The gray light edging the dark corners of the balcony drapes was inviting and I slid open the door, stepping outside to breathe in the morning air. Though it was early, the air was thick and heavy with the coming heat of day.

I was surprised to see a lone figure by the swimming pool. Without stopping to think, I grabbed a robe and pulled it on as I hurried silently down the stairs. The freshly mowed grass stuck to my bare feet as I crossed the lawn and let myself in through a nearby gate. I recognized Hardyn and at first I thought he was asleep in the lawn chair, but then he spoke.

"Morning, Lindy. What are you doing out of bed so early?"

"I could ask you the same question."

"Easy. I never went to bed in the first place."

I paused, shocked. "Never went to bed? You've been out here all night?"

"Yep." Hardyn shifted in his chair and I edged forward to take a seat nearby. Though the morning light was weak, I could see the dark shadows under Hardyn's eyes. He pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned forward, shoving the notebook he held into the chair beside him as he stared at the ground, elbows on his knees.

"Why?"

"Why not?" he shrugged.

"Because you have a full day of practice today?" I ventured and he scowled.

"What do you want anyway?" he asked, his voice rough.

"I saw someone alone out here and I thought I should check and see if everything is alright."

I expected him to reply that he was fine and to suggest I go away, but Hardyn remained silent for a few moments, deep in thought, before he spoke again. "I'm free, have you heard?"

"Free?" I gasped. "Did you break your contract?"

"I guess you could say that. But they broke theirs first."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm emancipated."

"Oh." I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing.

Hardyn cradled his face in his hands and his voice became muffled. "Legally, I guess you could say I no longer have parents. Weird, huh?" He glanced up at me and, slowly, I nodded.

"Yeah."

We sat and the birds woke up around us, their songs filling the air.

"So what's the notebook for?" I asked and immediately regretted it.

Hardyn shrugged. "Writing. I thought the occasion might merit a song."

That sounded strange to me, but I couldn't put my finger on why. "Are you going to perform it?"

"Package it, market it, and sell it, you mean?" Hardyn asked. I nodded. "No."

I nodded. "That's probably best. It wouldn't seem right, would it?"

"Why not? That's what they did with me. Might as well make some money off it. But no, I'm not going to because I don't have anything."

He stood and stretched, yawning. "I sat here all night and I didn't get out a single word." Hardyn walked stiffly over to the flower arbor and reached up, grasping the arbor in his hands. "Not a word." He yawned again.

"You should get some sleep."

"I will." Hardyn stared at the ground. "I'm dreading the announcement of the band breakup. It will be officially released soon. The press." He closed his eyes. As seconds passed, I began to wonder if he had fallen asleep standing in place.

I picked up his notebook and walked to him. A single loose page fluttered to the ground and I reached for it without thinking. My gaze fell on a single word, traced over and over until it stood out boldly on the page. Hardyn shifted and quickly placed the page back into the notebook before shoving it against his chest.

Hardyn's eyes popped open in his surprise and, releasing his tight grasp on the arbor, Hardyn clutched it to his chest with his right hand.

"No one touches my notebook."

"Go to bed, Hardyn. It's been a long night and long days lie ahead."

Hardyn nodded and, clutching the notebook to his chest, staggered back to his house.

I watched him go and then returned to my home, climbing the stairs slowly. I peeked out my balcony door before I climbed back in bed, half-expecting to see Hardyn at his vigil post once more. But the pool deck was empty.

My bed was warm, but for some reason I couldn't shake a chill deep in my bones. I wondered idly if I was coming down with something as I vainly sought sleep once more. Over and over in my dreams, a single word appeared, being traced with ink and growing darker and darker with black ink until it filled my mind and haunted my sleep.

Alone.

*************************************************************************************

What do you think? Should it have been in the original version? Ok Guys, I'm so excited to announce that the sequel is finally here! Check out The Rockstar Chronicles: Encore here:

https://www.wattpad.com/354024402-the-rockstar-chronicles-encore-two-weeks-later

(link in comments)

Also, I've been told by readers that they followed me and then couldn't see the story. I think that what is happening is that Wattpad doesn't process that you followed me for a bit. BUT, if you have this problem, just follow me and then search the stories title (Rockstar Chronicles: Encore) in the search bar and it should pop up for you.