Home or a factory?

The driveway led directly to a garage, set deep against the back fence. The limo glided into a parking spot smoothly and we all emerged into the bright sun and heat, squinting blearily against the reflection off the white houses. I was right on that point, too. They were white, but not the kind of white I had been expecting.

The siding on each house and their matching garages appeared to be constructed out of some type of metal. They gleamed, almost cruelly.

"So this is our new home?" Grady asked. I felt as confused as he sounded. It didn't look like a home at all. It looked like a factory, ready to mass produce a product for public consumption.

"Oh," was all Mom said as she gazed at the houses, enrapt. She was ecstatic, her hands clasped tightly against her chest and her smile threatening to split her face in two.

"I'll show you around," Kandee said. She had left her spot at the reception desk with her customary upbeat attitude. I wondered if getting out of the office was the highlight of her day.

She led the way up the walkway to the front door, punching in a passcode before opening the door. I hope I don't forget how to get into my own home, I worried. I could only imagine how many codes, passwords, and aliases my future now held.

She swung open the door with a flourish. My eyes widened in alarm. Everything was white. The walls, the floors, even the furniture.

"This," she said as she spun slowly in a circle, her high heels clicking against the tile floor, "is your new home."

"Our new home," Grant interrupted, correcting her. He barely glanced up from his phone as he plopped a bag onto the white ceramic floor. "Unless you object...." He raised his eyebrows at Mom.

"No." Mom swung her head slowly. "They are mirror images of each other, correct?"

"That's right," Kandee chirped. "Right down to the furniture." She opened a drawer in the foyer table and pulled out a thick binder. "Now we'll just go over the house rules, restrictions, and guidelines." Mom gulped and even Grant looked up from his phone.

"Just follow me into the kitchen. The instructions for all the appliances are in here," she tapped the notebook.

"Are they new?" Mom asked. I exchanged a glance with Grady. Only we knew how technically challenged Mom could be at times. Many nights we had found her studying online videos so she would be proficient at her newest software and hardware by the break of dawn.

"Kids?" Kandee turned to address us. "Why don't you go explore? Just don't mess anything up."

We nodded. We didn't have to be told twice.

*****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!*****