The Talk

That was the night Mom sprung the family talk on me. I was at my lowest and I don't know if she sensed it, like a lion going after an injured animal, or if something Mr. Kane said spurred her on, but we had our family discussion that night and it was terrible.

"Keith, can you hear us?" Mom asked as she adjusted the speakerphone levels in her study. She had called us up there just after dinner. I had thought we were probably going to go over schedules or our performance or something. When I realized what was happening, my stomach rolled.

"Yes," Dad's voice boomed into the room, though the connection was crackly and Mom winced, turning down the volume.

"Kids, we need to have a serious discussion about our future," Mom began, glancing at her notes and then me. I faced her, arms crossed. I wasn't scared.

"As Keith well knows, Lindy has been making plans of her own," Mom smiled at me and I felt the first sharp tinge of misgiving come over me. She knew. "Grady, I think you should know that your sister has been systematically researching and calling our family members in hopes of "escaping" us." Mom made quotation marks with her fingers.

"What?" Grady asked. He sounded confused and when he glanced at me, I felt the sting of accusation in his eyes. "You've been planning on leaving and you never told me?"

I know I shouldn't have been, but I was surprised. After time passed without Aunt Bess saying anything to Mom, I assumed she must have forgotten. I laughed nervously. "You never told me we were coming here."

"That's different," Grady said, his brow furrowed with anger. "I didn't know."

"It's okay, kids," Mom said. "Lindy is not moving in with a relative, as I'm sure she realizes." I stared at her, wondering how much more she knew. "And Lindy, I must applaud you. I'm really very proud. Those acting classes did pay off. You never let on your little plans. It makes me wonder what else you may be hiding."

Mom had known all along. I knew then that day in the car when she mentioned Aunt Bess had been a test. "You were in those acting classes, too," I said. "Watching." And learning. I realized then that it would be hard for me to ever trust her again. She was as good an actress as I was. She laughed lightly and I waited.

She met my gaze. "I was. You're not going to boarding school either." What did she do? Read my journal?

"Dad?" I never looked away from Mom, though my world was falling apart. "Please, get me out of here." My voice shook and I hated myself for it.

"Lindy," Dad sighed. "We've talked about this and your Mom is right. You are exactly where you need to be. Honey, you don't want to be here and we can't afford to send you to boarding school. Albert told me he mentioned it to you." Despite my anger towards Albert, I was relieved my journal was safe.

"Sure, you can't," I muttered, crossing my arms. I refused to look at Grady. I could feel the hurt and anger of my betrayal rolling off of him and I couldn't blame him. I would have felt the same way.

"So I think it's best if we just all stay honest and open with each other," Mom paused and patted her notebook, "And on the same page. Lindy," she lowered her voice, reaching for my hand and staring into my eyes as if she was sympathetic. As if. "I've let you pursue this to give you something to do, but it's time to focus now. Mr. Kane wants you as a backup dancer and he's even willing to let you try singing backup on a few of the songs. It's time to get to work, honey," she touched my cheek with one cold finger and I flinched. In that moment, I hated her.

The next thing I knew I was on the street, running as fast as I could to Mrs. Crabtree's house. I barely remembered jumping out of my seat and running down the hall and out the front door, desperate for escape. I did remember, however, that no one came after me.