Secrets

I was still poring over my list, my notebook propped up on my knees, when the dragon reappeared.

"Lindy? What are you doing?" Mom asked from the doorway, one hand on the frame.

I started in shock, glancing at the clock. It wasn't even lunch yet.

"What are you doing back so early?" I asked as I slammed the cover of my notebook shut.

"Well," Mom crossed her arms, a slight smile at the corner of her mouth. "I came back to get you. I think you'll want to be there for this."

I opened my mouth to object, but paused as her words sank in. "For what?" I asked, curious despite myself.

"You'll find out when you get there. Get dressed. And don't argue with me!" She held up one hand in warning.

Immediately suspecting a trick, I narrowed my eyes. "What should I wear?" I half-expected her to suggest workout clothes and I think she almost did. I could see her hesitate for a fraction of a second and then she shrugged.

"Something nice. A dress maybe?"

"I don't know," I shook my head, leaning back against the pillows and crossing my arms.

"Lindy. The boys want you there. They asked me to come and get you. It's a big moment for them."

"All the boys?" I asked, weakening. I had felt like the odd man out for some time now.

"All the boys," Mom said, pleased. "Even Hardyn."

I waited just long enough for Mom to disappear from sight before changing quickly into a knee-length hippie style dress. I left my hair down and, since this was apparently a special occasion, even dabbed on a little bit of mascara.

Hopping down the hallway, first on one foot and then on the other as I pulled on my low-heeled sandals, I nearly fell down. I hate to admit it, but I felt excited to be wanted by someone, even if it was only a group of very arrogant and extremely smelly boys. But I had to admit, some of them were pretty cute.

All the way to the main building and through the ride in the elevator I alternated between questioning Mom and wondering what this meeting was all about. But she held firm, refusing to answer my questions and concentrating instead on her phone. I sighed loudly, tapping my foot for extra emphasis, but she ignored me. She was good at that.

The boys were waiting in the food room, as we had come to think of it. Mom ushered me in and then went to rejoin the parents.

"So?" I asked as soon as the door closed behind me. "What is this all about?"

The delicious smell of pizza filled the air once more, along with a huge bowl of salad and an even larger tray of garlic bread. Bridge sat against one wall, his usual pose, with one leg stretched out before him, picking on his guitar and talking quietly with Tom, who took notes beside him.