All Eyes on Me

"It's come to my attention that Lindy has recently joined our rehearsals. Isn't that right, Lindy?" Mr. Kane asked, peering over the stack of papers in his hands at me from all the way down the table.

Everyone shifted to stare at me and I mean everyone. Even Shayna Sparkes and Nate Berkeley. I froze. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. All I could do was nod like an idiot.

I felt bridge nudge my leg with his own, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't formulate a single thought, much less come up with anything to say. I just kept nodding.

The polite smiles on the faces of each and every person there began to wilt as they waited on me to say something, anything. Only Shayna Sparkes continued to smile widely at me, her white teeth gleaming in the light as she nodded slightly, opening her eyes wide as if to say, "Come on, you can do this."

It was her son who saved me.

"Yep, Lindy's been in rehearsals and I think she's doing just fine." Bridge spoke slowly, brushing his hair out of his eyes as he faced Mr. Kane.

I was overwhelmed with gratefulness. I closed my eyes for a second, focusing on my breathing. This isn't real, I told myself. Act like you're in a play. It was my go-to strategy whenever I felt nervous, but I had never been so nervous I couldn't speak before. I hoped it would work and I opened my eyes.

"Is that right, Lindy?" Mr. Kane asked, waving Bridge back so he could see me. I knew what he was doing then. It was a test. He was appraising me and so far I was failing.

I took a deep breath and met Tom's gaze across the table. He was deathly pale, his eyes wide with apprehension. This isn't real. You can do this.

You're a famous performer, in a very important meeting with an up and coming boy band and musical legends Shayna Sparkes and Nate Berkeley.

I pasted on a blinding smile and looked straight in Mr. Kane's eyes. "Well," I laughed lightly. "I hope I've been doing well, but I guess Sarah would be the best judge of that."

Mr. Kane regarded me silently for a moment and I stared right back at him, my smile perfectly intact, never wavering. He couldn't see the panic filling the back of my mind. More than anything, I just didn't want to look stupid. Not in front of these people.

Finally, he shifted his gaze to Sarah. "I suppose we should get your report then."

I sat back in my seat, letting my held breath out slowly. I kept up the false front of confidence as Sarah rattled away, but I couldn't absorb a word she was saying. All my energy was focused on maintaining my facade.

Bridge shoved a scrawled note into my hand and I opened it, halfway expecting advice from him. He had obviously been through this before. Either that or he simply didn't care. But instead of a message from Bridge, I recognized Grady's familiar scrawl.

Did you see Mom's face when you didn't answer at first?

I peeked at him from the corner of my eye and he met my gaze. I could tell instantly he was nervous.

Don't worry, I scribbled quickly, pretending to take notes on what Sarah was saying. It didn't matter that I was missing it. I knew Mom would have it all, probably on tape and transcribed. You'll do fine.

As I handed the note to Bridge to pass along to Grady, a chill ran down my spine. I felt like someone was staring at me. I glanced up as Ryder glanced away, his mouth set in a hard line.

"It does sound like Lindy's done well," Mr. Kane said, his loud voice echoing around the room as he finished writing down a final note. On me, I realized with a start and the blood began to pound in my ears once more. I wished then that I had listened to what Sarah had said. "Let's move on to what we're all here for though," he said, shifting in his seat and reorganizing his papers for the thousandth time. "What about the boys? Let's start with the worst. Sarah? Who needs the most work and why?"

Sarah hesitated, her eyes guilty as she gazed at each of the boys in turn. I held breath as she paused, her gaze shifting between Tom and Bridge.

Tom swallowed hard and I felt suddenly so sorry for him. Please be Bridge, I wished, crossing my fingers. I was betraying him right after he helped me, but I couldn't wish any other way. Bridge could handle it. I knew he could.

But not Tom.

Sarah smiled apologetically as she started to speak, glancing at Tom nervously.

Oh, no.