The Party

The night before the concert, Bridge's parents threw a huge party. They said it was because they were investors in the band, but I think it was also partly because they snatched at every opportunity to throw a party. It was attended by more celebrities than I could count and believe me, I tried. Mom had treated us both to a day of beauty and by the time I slipped on my dress, I barely recognized myself.

My hair was done in loose, effortless waves I could never attain on my own. The make-up artist had made my eyes sparkle like I had never seen before. She said they were my nicest feature and she spent a lot of time adding eye liner, mascara, and carefully blending the eye shadow together. Usually, I hated makeup that was loud, but the makeup artist had listened to me for a change, toning it down until I just looked natural.

I gasped when I saw my dress. It was everything I loved. Very bohemian in structure, it was knee-length, tight in the bodice and loose underneath. That dress, combined with my new hair and makeup, made me feel a Greek goddess and I couldn't wait to show off my new look.

"Wow, Lindy," Hardyn said when he saw me. He and his uncle were riding to the Berkeley's with us. "I didn't know there was a girl under there."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks, Hardyn."

"You're welcome," he said as he slipped by me and slid into the car.

"Looking good, Lindy," Grant said, still staring at his phone. "Looking for a manager?"

"She's got one, thanks," Mom said, her voice icy.

Hardyn and Grant exchanged vicious looking grins.

As we started down the road, Hardyn stared out the window. He looked like he didn't feel well and I asked him how he was.

He didn't reply to my question. Instead he said, "Did you hear the news?"

"What news?"

"I've been emancipated." He glanced at me. "I'm on my own now."

I didn't know what to say. What do you say to that? Congratulations? "Isn't that what you wanted?" I finally asked, more to break the silence than anything.

"Yeah," he grinned again as he ran his hand through his hair. "It's such a relief. You know?" He swallowed hard as he glanced at me, a sick expression on his face.

I glanced at Mom and wondered what it would be like to be on my own. It was hard to imagine. Hardyn turned away from me and resumed his steady gaze out the window. The only movement he made throughout the rest of our ride was the steady, nervous drumming of his fingers on the armrest. Other than that, he remained completely still.

#

The Berkley house was lit from top to bottom and people stood at the gates, checking invitations before allowing us in. Hardyn tried to pull the "do you know who I am card?" But the man at the gate just looked at our invitation and waved us by, ignoring Hardyn while maintaining his bored expression.

I was impressed.

But by the time we reached the front stairs, I was overwhelmed. I had already spotted three major movie stars, about a dozen country music singers, and even a couple of models.

"Glad you could make it," Bridge said as soon as I entered the main room. It was huge and open to the second and third stories. Glitz and glamour were everywhere. Lights wound through the balustrades of the balconies and down the stairs, twinkling against the white walls and tiles.

In the far corner, a table covered in food and a fountain spilling red liquid called to me. Mom hadn't scheduled time to eat and I had been hungry all day. I glanced at Mom, chewing my lip. She was busy chatting up someone she thought could be an asset. Grady had been pulled away as soon as we arrived, along with Hardyn. I was on my own and I was going to make the most of it.

I slipped through the crowd, avoiding Mom's line of sight until I felt like I was in the clear. Then I picked up my pace, intent on the table of food.

A red carpet lined the foyer and people stood in clusters, taking photographs with Bridge and his parents. Grady and Hardyn waited nearby along with Ryder and Tom. All the boys were neatly turned out, though Tom and Bridge looked decidedly uncomfortable in the latest fashions. They had more of a 70's southern rock look going on normally and to be perfectly honest, I almost didn't recognize them.

The house was immaculate, but cold, much like our own house. It was, however, much larger. Several floors towered above us, their balcony's affording a view of the skylight overhead. Art and sculptures lined the walls while expensive draperies, open for the night, stood ready to shield them from the sun. It didn't seem like a home to me at all, but a museum.

I ducked behind a photographer, my eyes trained on the quesadilla's. I was almost there and then....

"Lindy!" Shayna waved me over, smiling enthusiastically. I hesitated. It was her house. I couldn't very well ignore her. Sighing, I turned and went to the carpet.

Shayna could have stepped off the cover of a magazine. Her blonde hair was swept back and pinned up, falling down her back in waves. A glittery gold dress that seemed to match the theme of the house fit her so well, it looked as if it had been made for her. It probably was, I thought. Jewelry dripped from her wrist and neckline and her dewy makeup sparkled almost as much as the gems.

She grabbed me, sweeping me in front of the cameras as she hugged my shoulders, still flashing her smile at the photographers. I was blinded instantly as the flashes went off.

"I'm glad you could make it, honey," she said, shaking me a little as she laughed. "I just love nights like this. They just make you feel alive, you know?"

I stared at her, not knowing what to say. I didn't understand and she knew it.

She smiled wistfully at me. "You'll know what I mean one day, baby. You're going to be big, I just know it."

"Mom, let her go," Bridge complained and then he pulled me away from her, slinging his own arm around my shoulders.

"Smile," he said, grinning at me. I complied automatically as the photographers began to snap their pictures. I wasn't sure what else to do.

The rest of the boys crowded around and then the cameras really went crazy. I still have a copy of one of the pictures from that night. It's framed and hangs right above my desk with a messy signature from each boy scrawled along the bottom half.

In the photo, we're all smiling and happy, looking directly into the camera as if we're challenging the world. I look at it and I think, what did we know?

We looked like babies back then, but we were together.

I can say a couple of things about that picture that are absolute facts:

1. Someone poked me in the ribs and I laughed.

2. We were all jostling for position near the end of it, teasing each other and pushing each other out of the way.

3. I was the first fan to take a picture with Kiss Goodbye.

*** What do you think guys? Who's your favorite band member now and why? Fun question! Where do you see everyone in 5 years?